Stress marks in paint/minor bump

CallorFold

Platinum Member
Had a very minor bump yesterday (my own fault) F**K :thumbdown:

Anyway, it doesn't look like it will go via insurance as there was no visible damage to either car, less than 1mph bumper to bumper. Apologized profusely, traded phone numbers, grabbed some quick photos and both on our way.

Got home and checked my bumper properly, looks like it popped out of a clip on the side by the wheel arch so gave that a push and popped back in nice and flush. The only "damage" I can see is small like crack lines/stress marks in the plastic. Only really visible when you're within about a foot of the bumper at eye level, but I know it will bug me.

I don't think polish/T-CUT will fix it - is it worth me speaking to one of those Chips-Away type companies - can they do anything to heat the plastic and re-settle the paint without it costing a fortune? I don't want to get into repainting the whole front bumper as that paint will never match exactly and all paint is original.

Any ideas? I'll try and get some pics up later if they'll even come out on my phone.

Fire some pics up, should be easier to tell then.

When washing my car my front bumper had become dislodged like you mentioned - must have been nudged by someone, luckily it just clipped back in - both a +ve and -ve as its probably the reason why it popped out in the first place.

Not sure on whether a smart repair will fix it, i am sure it would, cost up both options before deciding - i wouldnt be scared of getting paint done, a high % of vehicles on the road have had paint at some point in their lives.

Yeah I'll try and get some pics after work

My main worry with paint is, I had an old MK2 Ford Focus (silver-blue colour), the front bumper was repainted as one side was scuffed and then later in ownership got rear ended at traffic lights resulting in rear bumper and bootlid work done via insurance.

When looking at the car in photo's, it was a total mish-mash of colours and you could tell the front and rear had been painted. Really dont want to end up like that with the Clio!

Yeah I'll try and get some pics after work

My main worry with paint is, I had an old MK2 Ford Focus (silver-blue colour), the front bumper was repainted as one side was scuffed and then later in ownership got rear ended at traffic lights resulting in rear bumper and bootlid work done via insurance.

When looking at the car in photo's, it was a total mish-mash of colours and you could tell the front and rear had been painted. Really dont want to end up like that with the Clio!
I would say that's down to the painter , they should have blended it better into the panel rather than doing just a bumper in isolation.

Pics really haven't come out very well, dont think the iPhone can handle the detail but hopefully this sort of shows it -

azc2n4.png

wjibz6.png

35jgoih.png

dzxd3p.png

Full bumper repair and paint to do it properly! Smart repairs are not for damage such as that. £200- £250 for a professional job. And yes I'm sure someone can get it done cheaper but you don't get a top quality job cheap.