Strange markings on headlights

chapperzuk

Gold Member
Hey guys. I've just spotted these strange markings on the headlights. It seems to be on the inside of the casing. Anyone know what these are?

Also, there seems to be condensation on the inside of the rear lights. Is this normal? I'm guessing it will just disappear when the weather picks up?

u2y8yres.jpg

ryzaha6a.jpg

ujudezup.jpg

Thanks in advance :smile:

the rear one is damp...or condensation - take it off and remove bulb pack and let it dry out in the house...

as for the front need to see if it actually wipes off - if it doesn't could be stress cracks in the plastic

the rear one is damp...or condensation - take it off and remove bulb pack and let it dry out in the house...

as for the front need to see if it actually wipes off - if it doesn't could be stress cracks in the plastic

Thanks mate, will give that a try with the rear lights. I have tried giving the front lights a wipe, but doesn't seem to be doing much. You can't see them that much from a distance though, it's only really up close. Not a huge problem really, just interested to find out what they were.

Have you taken pictures of my lights by accident? :tongueout:

I haven't been able to work out what's going on with the front lights, the marks on yours are in exactly the same place as they are on mine. It's not a mark on the lens, it's either inside or in the plastic itself. With the rears, the condensation comes out just fine, they just need bringing inside for a few hours.

Joe

I have the snowflakes on my 197, I believe it to be down to stress on the plastic over time. The short time I had a HID kit fitted didn't help either and increased the markings. . . possibly caused by heat?

Same as the others I have the snowflakes in exactly the same place. No aftermarket bulbs or HID kit has ever been fitted.
Can the entire front headlight be taken apart and have the inside polished?

The Mark on the front lights is a trate of the design it happens to most of them as for the rears both my rears have been replaced twice under warranty for the amount of condensation build up the current ones still do but not anywhere near as bad as the first 2 sets

When I was looking for a 197 I spotted this on quite a few of the older ones I looked at, mine was just under three years old when I bought it and did not have them, I was quite glad about this. it has them now so must just come with age and wear.