Strange crunching when braking!

MissMagpiev6

Paid Member
Its not all the time, just when i brake to a stop fairly hard, only over bumpy roads though? The brake pedal vibrates a little. First time it happened i thought i grounded out on the roundabout! :worried:

Idea's, thoughts pls?

Cheers

abs is being triggered

brake earlier to see if it stops it being triggered - but the raods are greasy!

That depends really.

The obvious (generic forum) answer would be "stop pressing the pedal so hard", but that's only half the story, most of the time you'll lock the wheels not because you pressed too hard, but because you pressed too hard too sharply and caused your wheels to lose traction. Try and be smoother on when you first press the pedal and ease in to it.

OR.... your abs sensor could be knackered or just really mucky, its not a common fault on the Clio but is on some other cars that it's just covered in muck so doesn't get great readings and thinks your locking up. Also check really obvious stuff like tyres and tyre pressures.

Do you ever get the grinding/knocking at low speeds?

No it doesnt happen at low gentle braking, i dont yank on the anchors though. Im a gentle driver really, just as i brake for a particular roundabout its uneaven road, thats when it happens mostly.

Its not nice, lol :worried:

I had this as well and removed my ABS sensors for a clean but no difference. I really think that because the chassis is fairly stiff that any uneven roads tend to lift the wheels losing traction fairly easily

Agree with andreas mine lifts the inside rear on the approach to a particular roundabout which is uneven an a weird camber. Abs always comes on because the one in the air locks up

Tyres are continental, rears are 3-5mm from the limits although i think they are the originals! Next to do on my list

Will check the tyre px. Im getting all the brakes/discs done this weekend so will get my brother to have a good look around

Cheers for the help guys