Straightening bent alloys - yes or no?

tchalikias

Paid Member
So after a year of driving on the infamous Greek road network which resembles the lunar surface both front alloys seem to be a little bent.

I did the classic 'raise the car, turn the wheels by hand and watch for irregular movement' test and it is there, barely, but there. Rear wheels are still ok.

On motorway speeds I think there is a slight vibration on the steering wheel at around 110 km/h but its hardly noticeable.

The question is: I can get the alloys straightened but I've read this reduces their overall structural integrity. Which means that after they 've been straightened they will be more susceptible to bending.

Is this true? Should I straighten them or wait until they get worse? Also, which method is best for our alloys?

People that have had their wheels repaired will say its fine, but I certainly wouldnt be happy knowing its been repaired.

I would buy 2 new (Or second hand) fully "undamaged" wheels if I were you.

When a metal is bent you alter the grain structure within it, within a cast part such as an alloy it can reduce the strength quite considerabley. If you were to get the wheel straightened then it further alter/deform the metals grain structure, weakening it further. I wouldn't recommend anyone get wheels starightened, especially on a car that goes though high cornering forces etc.

BTW i'm not someone thats heard this from a friend of a friend, I've actually learnt and studied :smile:

People that have had their wheels repaired will say its fine, but I certainly wouldnt be happy knowing its been repaired.

I would buy 2 new (Or second hand) fully "undamaged" wheels if I were you.

Good advice and I'd do the same tbh. Wouldn't be happy knowing my wheels had been straightened as it were!

I wouldn't, Id just get either a set of renault wheels on flea bay or take the opportunity to buy some superlegga's.

I read somewhere the Buggati Veyron needs to have its wheels replaced every two tyre changes due to the severe stresses acceleration puts on them - a little off topic I know

Used alloys seems like a good idea but I'd have to be sure they are 100% straight. The thing is, 17" alloys over here last for about 6 months before they start to become damaged. This means that finding a set of perfect alloys is going to be nearly impossible.

I'll check with Renault although I'm sure that a pair of new ones is gonna cost an arm and a leg...

Used alloys seems like a good idea but I'd have to be sure they are 100% straight. The thing is, 17" alloys over here last for about 6 months before they start to become damaged. This means that finding a set of perfect alloys is going to be nearly impossible.

I'll check with Renault although I'm sure that a pair of new ones is gonna cost an arm and a leg...

New ones from Renault will set you back roughly £180. :blush:mg:

depends how bad they are

i have taken out small flat spots from alloys and never had any issues - some alloy wheels are quite "soft" and will go back in to shape quite easily

Well let me put it this way, if I hadn't had them checked I probably wouldn't have known there was a problem. From what I can see they have a couple of flat spots each.

The thing is, I don't like the design of these alloys (the 200 is available over here only with these alloys, I don't know what they 're called):

20100318085643096.jpg

I have been thinking of getting 4 anthracite alloys which fit better with my 200's color (black). If only they weren't so pricey!

For now I think I'll have these alloys straightened and when the time is right (i.e. when I have the money :tongueout:) I'll get the anthracite ones.

Jeez so many comments saying no....... £40 to straighten or £200 for a new wheel I know what I went for lol

Jeez so many comments saying no....... £40 to straighten or £200 for a new wheel I know what I went for lol

I think if I wasn't so aware of material properties and how things like this can affect them then I'd probably say go for it lol

Ignorance is bliss :wink:

The question is, those who 've had their alloys straightened, what are your impressions?

Did the wheel/wheels deteriorate faster afterwards?

Obviously they aren't going to be as strong as when they came out of the production line but if they can last for some time its not going to be a problem I think...

I'm currently waiting to hear from a Renault parts importer, I asked him about 4 17" Anthracite Bebop wheels, I'm taking about these:

http://www.renault-me.com/CountriesData/GCC/images/services/clio/a10.jpg

Ofcourse, I don't expect they 'll be cheaper than 700 euros or so.. :S

The question is, those who 've had their alloys straightened, what are your impressions?

Did the wheel/wheels deteriorate faster afterwards?

Obviously they aren't going to be as strong as when they came out of the production line but if they can last for some time its not going to be a problem I think...

I'm currently waiting to hear from a Renault parts importer, I asked him about 4 17" Anthracite Bebop wheels, I'm taking about these:

http://www.renault-me.com/CountriesData/GCC/images/services/clio/a10.jpg

Ofcourse, I don't expect they 'll be cheaper than 700 euros or so.. :S

never had any problems with the ones i straightened :book: