stone chips

james_h

Platinum Member
Does anyone else suffer with this as bad as I do????

I've only covered around 2000 miles in the last 10 months but manage to get new stone chips every time I take the car out.

Today was a particular nightmare granted.. I had to drive on 2 dual carriage ways that had just been re-laid and there's always some p***K like today who has some old banger of a car (in this case a Y reg volvo) who booted past everyone showering my car in tonnes of gravel :whatever:... to say I was and am peed off is an understatement.

On inspection I've accrued about half a dozen new chips and couple on the windscreen.. one is a beauty on the bonnet slam :scared:

Every other car I've had is no where near as bad as this Clio... to say Renault were sparing with the laquer seems an understatement..:thumbdown:

The fact that dents seem to appear if you so much as breath heavily on the bodywork and the crap durability of the paint is really making me think about buying another Renault...

Rant over.

I don't think the shape helps the Clio to be honest. With the nose being fairly low but a a nice angle it seems to be ripe for stone impacts.

Just get some good wax and keep on top of I'd say, or if you can stretch to the 3M Ventureshield then go for that, it's superb stuff and is bombproof.

I don't think the shape helps the Clio to be honest. With the nose being fairly low but a a nice angle it seems to be ripe for stone impacts.

Just get some good wax and keep on top of I'd say, or if you can stretch to the 3M Ventureshield then go for that, it's superb stuff and is bombproof.

I'd like to get some sort of protection but it all seems a bit late now..

I do use Collinite which is good stuff.

Do you get the same problem then??

I think your right about the shape.

Yeah, I've got a cracker on the bonnet and one on the roof too, plus a smattering on the front panel and bumper. I've picked up a few in front of the rear arches too, what with them being as wide at the rear as they are I don't think there's much you can do to prevent those ones bar fitting some shield or maybe some front mudflaps. Plus mine's Deep Black, so they stick out a bit but once polished and with some wax on it really does help to hide/diminish them. My commute now is all B-Roads though luckily, so there's hardly any traffic on them which should help to stop my collecting too many more.

I use Sonus polish which does a good job of softening the chips and if you use something with fillers in like Auto Glym SRP then that will help matter further. It's never to late for protection mate, at the very least it'll stop you collecting any more or reduce the amount you'll collect.

Yeah, I've got a cracker on the bonnet and one on the roof too, plus a smattering on the front panel and bumper. I've picked up a few in front of the rear arches too, what with them being as wide at the rear as they are I don't think there's much you can do to prevent those ones bar fitting some shield or maybe some front mudflaps. Plus mine's Deep Black, so they stick out a bit but once polished and with some wax on it really does help to hide/diminish them. My commute now is all B-Roads though luckily, so there's hardly any traffic on them which should help to stop my collecting too many more.

I use Sonus polish which does a good job of softening the chips and if you use something with fillers in like Auto Glym SRP then that will help matter further. It's never to late for protection mate, at the very least it'll stop you collecting any more or reduce the amount you'll collect.

Thanks mate for all that advice. I'm hoping Russ is coming to sort a few swirl marks on my roof this week so I may ask him about protection/waxes for the chips etc..

As you, I have loads now on the rear flaired arches and plenty of small ones on the front diffuser etc.. just a shame as the car is mint and only on 6.5k miles

I've got a lot on my UR, these cars seem like a magnet for stone Chips, I've got a cracker on my bumper, they really do my head in :worried:

I have a fair few also but nothing too serious. Painted the ones that did get quite bad, Renault paint between the MK2 Clio and the MK3 is totally different! My old MK2 never got any on it!

I've got a swarm of them around my passenger side foglight, a few on the screen and a double one on the far edge of my bonnet, it must have been a big stone.

Similar Thread Suggestions