Steves Megane conversion build - She's finally running (VIDEO inside)

UPDATE:

This weekend the girlfriend was in Paris for the weekend, I booked Friday and Monday off and got to work sorting out the little niggly problems. First up was an oil change, pretty simple, no different from a clio oil change really. Topped back up with castrol edge and new renault filter. The old oil looked fine, no bits of metal in it

Ive always since getting the car back had a slight gearbox leak, would notice every morning when leaving for work there would be a small patch of gearbox oil on the drive. I did worry that it was leaking between the two casing halves of the gearbox, this would mean an engine out job to then have to open back up the gearbox and re-seal. Luckily it was found to be a duff driveshaft seal, got a new one ordered. This did mean that the drive shaft would need to be removed, a right pain in the arse job. The lower ball joint was undone along with the the tie rod and droplinks, the strut bolts were then undone and the whole hub assembly and driveshaft was slid out of the car. (Gearbox was drained before this) the old seal was pulled out and a new one installed. Driveshaft re installed and the hub was secured. The box was refilled with Fuchs Titan sintofluid and success, no leaks. While the driveshaft was out I removed the second lambda sensor and installed a wideband sensor instead (Second lambda sensor is only for emmisions) the cables were then ran into the cabin into an AEM afr gauge. This allows me to monitor the engines air fuel ratio on the go for peace of mind.

Today I set about installing a megane radiator, as I mentioned a few posts ago that i was suffering from overheating in hot weather. The megane radiator is huge compared to the clios. The old rad was removed and the megane rad mocked up, checking all the hoses would reach etc. Location holes were then drilled into the lower subframe. The top crash bar has to be trimmed a little in order for the rad to fit in the stock location. The rad was still a bit tight though, to cue this I spaced down the lower front subframe by 10mm, this gave me enough room for everything to line up correctly. The light however was fading and I had to stop work. I did manage to plumb up the system and bleed any air out of it. Tomorrow I shall finish the radiator setup and go out for a long drive to make sure its all running correctly and see if the temps remain lower than before.

Photos:

20160924_131800_zpsxptgddwi.jpg

20160924_105107_zpspljdq2wq.jpg

20160923_170922_zpskqfyozj0.jpg

1474801253209_zpshgwvkiaz.jpg

IMG_20160925_181215_zpsis3bpdi6.jpg

Thanks

Blimey that is a lot bigger, hopefully sort the temperatures out though!

Your poor front bumper must be sick of being removed lol!!

i did get a bit of what you mentioned this time :smile: lucky me..
well done mate..what did you eat when girlfriend away??

UPDATE:

Haven't been on here for a while so thought id update with progress so far. First of all the radiator has made a HUGE difference, temps don't go above the 3rd marker even after some hard abuse and sitting in traffic. So I would definitely recommend fitting one if anyone is thinking of doing the conversion.

With most of the mechanical work finished for now, I set about making the engine bay a bit tidier, mainly around the crash panel and top of the bumper. I sprayed the top of the bumper satin black as the plastic was faded and no amount of trim restorer was bringing it back to life. I also bought some new oem stickers to go back on, looks like new! Now because the bumper has been on and off so many times the plastic had become really scratched and faded on the top of the slam panel, this wouldn't do. To remedy this I made up some real carbon trims to cover up them areas. I first applied masking tape to the area and carefully cut out the outline in the tape, I then peeled off the tape and this gave me a template. The template was used to mark out the carbon, I cut it out on a band saw at work using a fine blade, this gave a really nice edge. I then proceeded to sand and bevel the edges so there was no sharp edges. Holes were drilled for the bumper stops and headlight mounting holes. Fitted them in my lunch break and I think they look the part, really neaten up that hole area of the bay. I'm going to add some more carbon touches in the bay and around the car before next year.

Reading through the specs on the timing belt the other week I realised I had not torqued the camshaft pulleys properly, I couldn't leave this, as when pushing more power the last thing I would want is for the pulley to slip and potentially write off then engine. I took a saturday and basically changed the cambelt again. Both engine mounts need to be removed and the cam cover removed while supporting the engine with a jack. The cam slots were easy to get to as Ive got no battery in the bay now. Torqued the pulleys up to spec and turned over two revolutions of the crank and all was good. Engine timing was still spot on.

Before mapping which Ill get onto in a bit I needed to finish my fuel system, I linked up the tank to swirl pot line and the HF pump to rail line, Only took 30 mins. Then the pump was primed a few times and the engine was fired up, the pressure was then set to 3.5 bar like the stock setup and then I checked for leaks. However my god is the bosch 044 loud! Ill definitely need to make a box up for the fuel system with sound deadening for when I do long journeys, then the box can be removed for shows etc.

Right onto mapping, and unfortunately it didn't go to plan. Got to EFI for 10 and on the rollers. Scoff tried to access my ecu to use his own software for mapping, but there was a problem, my ecu appears to have a fast chips map on it which locks the ecu. This would be fine on a weekday as you could get a code off fast chips to unlock the ecu, but this was a sunday and fast chips werent replying. Im now on the hunt for a spare ecu now so scoff can reset it to factory settings and then map it properly not using henk software. Top bloke and really helpful, its just one of them annoying things I suppose, no one was to blame. We did however get the car on the dyno and do a few pulls, its making about 245 hp which isnt too bad, and its running safe which means I can give it more revs now, pulls like an absolute train, cant imagine what its going to be like at 350+.

More updates will be up shortly, with more touches being done and prep being done for another go at mapping and expo in november.

20161006_175556_zpsm1u0y3p9.jpg

20161008_170347_zpsaqx4ltog.jpg

20161011_095907_zpspmxiwsau.jpg

20161006_175545_zpsqpsbt6df.jpg

20161008_170334_zpsdfs5p00p.jpg

20161001_120056_zpscwo3nv2x.jpg

20161001_120038_zps0pxqxdqp.jpg

20161001_114555_zpsxhupvttc.jpg

20161001_112913_zpsazk9acwu.jpg

Thanks

Great update....and great pics too.

LOVE the Carbon Fibre trims. Look really professional.

Shame on the ECU issue's @ mapping. Not a serious 'problem'.......just an annoying setback !

Great update....and great pics too.

LOVE the Carbon Fibre trims. Look really professional.

Shame on the ECU issue's @ mapping. Not a serious 'problem'.......just an annoying setback !

Thanks mate, I might make up a few in the future if anyone wants any. Yeah just annoying more than anything, hopefully will be properly mapped soon.

Good stuff, glad to see you're finally getting there. If you're looking for a 225 ecu give me a shout as I have 2 spare.

Brilliant as always! You must have so much patience because I think a lot of people, including myself would have got fed up by now - but not a massive set back and I hope you're all sorted soon and can finally enjoy it!

Keep us updated and I look forward to the finished result.

UPDATE:

Right first things first Ive been accepted for expo top 40. Kind of a shock as it was done on likes on there facebook page for at first "Top 20", you got the same people posting/sharing etc trying to get likes which is fair enough, I didnt bother which much of that and didn't get many likes so I wasn't expecting to get in so didn't really bother with the little bits on the car. However as theyv'e extended it to top 40 I now have a place so this means there is a lot of work to be done in a short amount of time

This weekend i started with tidying up the little bits on the car, first up was tidying up the calipers which were a bit ropey from being left around in a garage for ages. A bit of brake fluid had seeped out of the bleed nipple, this normally isnt a problem as I wash them straight after, However because it had been away from me for so long the brake fluid hadn't been washed off which then stripped the powder coat off them. I touched them up with renault capscium red which is a perfect match.

Next up was touching up some bits in the engine bay like the peeling paint on the turbo cold side. The boost pipes had also got scratches all over it from the conversion. I sanded it down with 2000 grit sandpaper and then used some autosol to polish them back up, the scratches have mostly been removed. The fuel system was then finished and I made up a sound proof box to go over it as the bosch 044 pump is loud!

Some 20mm spacers have been ordered which arrive tomorrow so Ill get them bolted on this week, should give the car a better stance and fill the arches nicely.

Also noticed that my topmount has had it which is causing a clunking noise, Ill get that ordered soon and then get it swapped over after expo. Also @Sean197 was kind enough to sell me a megane ecu so I should be in for mapping very soon.

Over the next few weeks I hope to detail the car and tidy up the last little bits, Ill update again next week with the new look with the spacers on.

20161023_152523_zpsyfc8kpb9.jpg

20161023_152514_zpsmkcwuims.jpg

20161023_152605_zps6pie9rfx.jpg

20161023_152611_zpsgjdlwegd.jpg

Thanks