Stereo died, then permanently lit up?

JB40k

Platinum Member
Afternoon all, just a quick(ish) one...

Last night, I get into the car and fiddle about with the radio (OEM RadioSat Bluetooth jobby) for a few moments whilst the engine warms up, nothing out of the ordinary, flicking between a few stations before setting off, everything was normal.

10 minutes down the road, pull up at a friends house, he jumps in and we head another 10 minutes to band practice... We get out, I locked up as normal. Fast forward a few hours later, coming back I noticed the radio was lit up inside the car :s, no other lights, just the fascia of the head unit. Keys in, ignition on, nothing from the radio! No response from the buttons or stalk controls, it's still lit up however and the top display just shows Renault, which doesn't shift.

I get home, then looking like Burglar Bill with a torch in the dark, proceed to fumble about the steering column in a hunt for the fuses; they all seemed fine though, nothing had blown. Annnyway... After a quick flick through here and on the Renault forums I got the impression it might be a relay or the actual fuse I was looking for might be hidden away either hidden the glovebox or under an intake pipe in the engine bay.

Not being up for the hassle of dismantling half of my car to get to a fusebox that may or may not fix the problem, I left it overnight and planned to get to the dealers first thing. This morning rolled around and sure enough, the stereo was still it up (probably all night) and was as responsive as a sedated mattress. Dropped it off at Renault who told me it sounded like a problem that an older Megane occasionally suffered with; when the temperature dropped, it caused a fault on the stereo that basically locked it up...

Half an hour later, they'd reset it (guessing they had it out and disconnected from the live?), and advised that if it happened again, to let them know and it'd be replaced under warranty. That's all fine, the customer service was impeccable and the technician had just bought himself a Meg 250 which made for good conversation, I drove away a happy chappy with the latest pop-chart hits ringing in my ears.

So, the point of this post...

Tl;dr - Radio wouldn't switch on, despite having power and being illuminated 24/7. Renault suggested a faulty unit which doesn't like the cold, and not a fuse issue, does this sound right? My concern is that if it happens again due to the cold weather snaps and the stereo is still drawing a current being permanently illuminated, is this likely to drain my battery and result in a PITA?

Similar Thread Suggestions