Steering lock message and no start

Hi guys wondering if someone could help me with a bit of a problem? Twice in the last week my car has failed to start (never done this before!). It turns over but just won't kick in and fully start. Each time it has happened there has been an error message on the dash saying steering not locked. Even after locking the steering and trying again it won't start! First time I left it and tried again a few hours later and it started but this time it was put on a trailer and taken to the garage :thumbdown: and they are saying fuel pump has gone. And advice would be great!

a few pumps have been reported on here failing so its not that "uncommon" :001_rolleyes:

when you try and start it you can usually hear the pump "buzz" when first starting to get the fuel pressure up

Alright mate, mine did this not too long ago. Turned out to be the crank sensor was kaput! If you with the rac/aa ask them to run live diagnostics as mine was reading 190 rpm when the engine wasn't even running.
Hope this helps
Cheers

try pulling on the steering wheel while pressing the starting button

If it was the fuel pump then why would the steering lock message be coming up? I find it strange that I have only had this problme when that message has shown. Surely if it was the fule pump it wouldnt start all the time or would have a loss in power etc?

If it was the fuel pump then why would the steering lock message be coming up? I find it strange that I have only had this problme when that message has shown. Surely if it was the fule pump it wouldnt start all the time or would have a loss in power etc?

dont forget when you press the "start" button you are telling the body and engine ecu to start the car and if one of the systems developes a fault it wont or cant start and hence the message to say steering not locked due to the none start

faulty starters can cause the fault as well