Squeeeeaaaaaal

Just been for a drive and after driving over a crappy surfaced road when driving slow there's a high pitched squeal, it's not coming from my brakes as I wasn't applying them. I'm guessing something suspension related?

It's going in for a service shortly as I already have squeaky brakes and knocking from the balljoints or track rod ends so this is an additional noise....

Cheers!

It could be as simple as gravel stuck between the pad and disc. Try braking heavily a few times to see if you can shift it.
Where in the world are you btw, if it's your lower ball joints that cause the knocking there aren't many places who will fit them. [MENTION=58]Raptor6767[/MENTION] sells the lower and upper balljoints on this forum and his prices are very reasonable.

Last edited:
It's your brakes mate still in contact slightly with the disc either via dirt or dust. Nothing to worry about

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Ah nice one, I'll take it out this aft and see if it goes away. I'm up north so I'll take the car to RS Murray in Leeds, heard they're great :smile:

Ah nice one, I'll take it out this aft and see if it goes away. I'm up north so I'll take the car to RS Murray in Leeds, heard they're great :smile:

Yeah Murray's are very good, they did a great job with mine and are very honest about things. Good luck getting the noise sorted out.

I'm back from Murrays and the knocking turned out to be a snapped spring and the small droplinks need replacing. Turns out the squealing is the handbrake cable.

So, I'm going to buy some H&R or Eibach springs for Murray to fit - they're miles cheaper than OE Renault ones. But, are they both very similar? I've done a lot of research on them and opinions are very divided.. I don't want the car to feel much different to standard if that's possible on lower springs.

Second question is on Spigot rings for the wheels, centre bore is 60.1 for the car and the new wheelset I'm buying is 73.1 but are there different shapes (taper and stepped?) Am I best physically looking at the wheel once it comes?

Cheers for the advice - most appreciated!

Got the car back from the garage yesterday, squealing and knocking all gone and the car sits a lot nicer on the road. Handling has been improved a lot due to the new drop links, steering is a lot lighter now :smile:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_20160817_180450.jpg
    IMG_20160817_180450.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20160817_181303.jpg
    IMG_20160817_181303.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20160817_181313.jpg
    IMG_20160817_181313.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
Good to hear the car is all sorted now and that Murrays did a good job - were you happy with their service? What was it exactly that was wrong with the handbrake cable - were they seizing the brakes on?

I love those wheels btw, very nice on the 197!

Good to hear the car is all sorted now and that Murrays did a good job - were you happy with their service? What was it exactly that was wrong with the handbrake cable - were they seizing the brakes on?

I love those wheels btw, very nice on the 197!

Yeah they were great - I've been happy both times I've used them. One of the cables was seizing the brakes on, so he thought it best to get both replaced. I don't have to pull the handbrake as far now for the brakes to properly engage, feels better :smile:

I'm really happy with the Marmora's, they were difficult to get hold of at a decent price though. They're ET45 so poke an extra 23mm - but it doesn't look in any way extreme I don't think, so i'm really pleased with it. The tyres are F1 Assy 3's which feel great over the random mix that the previous owner had on (1x conti, 1x michellin, and 2 no brand ones!).

Ah right, I had the same issue with my handbrake cables and they replaced both of them too. Glad you were happy with Murrays, they were very good the last time I used them.

It's a good little bonus that the wheels stick out a bit, without having to use spacers.

I'll keep an eye out for you round and about, I'm down in Rodley, not far from Bradford.

Ah right, I had the same issue with my handbrake cables and they replaced both of them too. Glad you were happy with Murrays, they were very good the last time I used them.

It's a good little bonus that the wheels stick out a bit, without having to use spacers.

I'll keep an eye out for you round and about, I'm down in Rodley, not far from Bradford.

I'll be sticking with them, their prices aren't ridiculous and the owner (Steve is it?) seems a really nice bloke - you can tell after 5 mins he knows his stuff.

The extra poke definitely looks the part. They look fine standard, until you see a lowered one with spacers or a wider wheel and then suddenly the standard ones don't look quite as good haha

Ah sweet :smile: I've seen a couple of 197's locally, saw a racing blue one in Birkenshaw and a black one near me in Wyke. Have you got the 18" Megane R27 rims on yours?

I'll be sticking with them, their prices aren't ridiculous and the owner (Steve is it?) seems a really nice bloke - you can tell after 5 mins he knows his stuff.

The extra poke definitely looks the part. They look fine standard, until you see a lowered one with spacers or a wider wheel and then suddenly the standard ones don't look quite as good haha

Ah sweet :smile: I've seen a couple of 197's locally, saw a racing blue one in Birkenshaw and a black one near me in Wyke. Have you got the 18" Megane R27 rims on yours?

Yeah I think it is Steve, and if it was still Linda on reception, she is really helpful. Good garage to know of locally.

Ha yea I know what you mean, first time I saw a lowered, spacered 197 I was well impressed!

No, mine is totally standard, just R27 spec. I'm not over in Bradford very much, just pass through normally. There seems to be a few mk3s locally, but not many on them are on the forum.