Squeal/Whine full lock right when staionary

Hi Guys,

I've noticed that there's a whine coming from the steering when turned full lock right stationary.

It doesn't seem to affect the performance and it's not noticeable on a daily basis because i rarely go full lock.

Is this the famous Hub Carrier Ball joint going? Does it need replacing (Will it break other things if i don't?)

I'm quite tempted to leave it for now but thought i'd run it past you chaps!

Cheers,

P3Nn

Unfortunately it sounds like it could be that, if you could get a video posted then im sure someone would be to confirm if it is the ball joint.

Im not sure about it breaking other things if it isn't fixed, but it will fail an MOT if its bad enough.

I bought my car with a dodgy ball joint ( I didn't do my research properly :worried: ) and after I had got it fixed the car handled much better, so I would get it done ASAP

Unfortunately it sounds like it could be that, if you could get a video posted then im sure someone would be to confirm if it is the ball joint.

Im not sure about it breaking other things if it isn't fixed, but it will fail an MOT if its bad enough.

I bought my car with a dodgy ball joint ( I didn't do my research properly :worried: ) and after I had got it fixed the car handled much better, so I would get it done ASAP
+1 to this.

Failed on my right side ball joint, had it replaced and the car felt MILES better.

Usually a noise that sounds like a whine.

Stationary was the key word that he said so there is absolutely NO WAY it could be balljoint, to me it sounds like the PAS pump failing, if it's this a flush of fluid could make it spot on again, but it could also be a failing steering rack that's causing the pump to whine.

EDIT: It's electric not hydraulic so ignore that. Balljoints still don't whine.

Last edited:
ahh, I stand corrected. Its just when mine went I would have described it as a whining/creaking/grinding noise - I didn't read the stationary bit though

I'm no expert, however when my ball joint needed doing, the groaning noise was heard when I turned the steering wheel to full lock when stationary/very low speed maneuvering... I didn't notice it when I was driving at road speeds. The video of the OP's noise will help, but I wouldn't rule out a ball joint just yet.

Right guys i've popped a video on Google Drive.

Weird thing is that it stopped after i forced it to whine quite a bit, it's only happening when you go towards lock right.

By the end of the video it had stopped making the noise, i'm not sure if that's down to the fact the gravel was a bit loose underneath so less resistance?

Anyway have a listen let me know what you think!

[video]https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B33yPwzZrqqMMWszMU5VR0p5dEk/view?usp=sharing[/video]

Right guys, decided to get this sorted now!

Where's best/cheapest place in South Yorkshire!?

I work in Duckmanton/Bolsover and read a post a while ago about someone doing them local, anyone know if they're still going?

Bolsover Car Care, right on your doorstep! That's where I took mine for the ball joint doing. I believe they're still going, although the lad that worked there - Mark Black - is now elsewhere, however I'm sure they'll still do the work for you. Worth calling first though to check. They were very competitive on price.

Alternatively, I know a couple of people have gone to Aaron's Autos in Derby - don't know them from personal experience, but the feedback has been good from what I've read.

No probs :smile: BCC were really good, can't fault them at all. I remember that they needed a week or two's notice to order the part in. Really efficient though and friendly to deal with.

Had the same issue on mine and I'm taking to Aarons Autos in Derby on Thursday but you may need to book a week or 2 in advance as they're busy.

Op did you get the work done? We have the same issue on our 197, exactly the same as your video

Last edited by a moderator: