Spluttering 406!

Arran

I Love Lamp
Platinum Member
Ok, so some of you might know I have a Peugeot 406 estate that I share with with my dad. Been out in it today and done over 100 miles, but I had to take it really easy after about 15 miles because it was misfiring. That's what it felt like anyway. Thinking of starting by changing the plugs, but has anyone got any ideas? The Haynes manual says these engines don't have HT leads, the coil pack and plugs sit on top of the engine doing away with them.

I've got no idea when it was serviced last either, so will probably do that.

as good a place to start - costs nothing to remove them and have a look - also check for loose or dirty connections - wd40 round the connections and multi-plugs can work wonders !!

So my dad took the plugs out and went and bought some new ones. Turns out the previous onwer had put the wrong plugs in. They were for the Peugeot 405, not the 406. NGK have different part numbers for the 2. I haven't drvien the car myself yet, but he says it feels generally much better engine wise and no signs of any misfire. So hopefully it's 100% sorted. I'll have to take it on a nice long journey again to fully test it.

And the cost? £10.50 for the good old local motor factors! Lol! Peugeot stealers wanted £8.50 PLUS VAT for 1 plug! Robbing ba***rds! Must be all French stealers who want a fortune for everything, not just Renault!