Speed limiter

How does it work??

Reason is, had a letter from the boys in blue and i'll need to start watching my speed a little. I don't race around at all, just a little unlucky.

Anyhow gonna start using the speed limiter but was wondering how it controls the speed.

Does it just reduce power from the engine?
Lightly apply the brakes?

or something else??

You set the speed with the buttons on the wheel and then when you press the fast pedal the car will only go upto that speed. Unless you push the pedal past the stop half way down the pedal movement. Once past the stop the car will carry on accelerating as normal.

Best thing is just try it.

once you reach the speed limit, it cuts any additional power, pressing the pedal harder won't make the car go faster, only enough power to maintain the speed limit will be used, unless you fully depress the pedal (you may hear the override switch click) and it'll go like a stabbed rat

Jase - Sorry i should have made my post clearer...i know how it works i meant the mechanics behind it.

Oh right.
In which case. You have to remember that the fast pedal is just a button.
The 197 is drive by wire not a throtle cable.
So it doesnt do anything machanicle it's all just electrical.

'mechanics' was loosely used, should have said workings :wink:

So it electronically controls the throttle when you hit the limiter?

The throttle is controlled by a motor that is controlled by the ECU, which gets a signal from the potentiometer on the throttle pedal/linkage. The ECU then calculates how much throttle is needed to maintain the set speed(as per cruise control). You are free to do what you want up to the speed limiter but it cuts in just short of the limiter. As with the cruise control, the ecu can completely control the engine with no external input from a human as it has a speed sensor input.

The throttle is controlled by a motor that is controlled by the ECU, which gets a signal from the potentiometer on the throttle pedal/linkage. The ECU then calculates how much throttle is needed to maintain the set speed(as per cruise control). You are free to do what you want up to the speed limiter but it cuts in just short of the limiter. As with the cruise control, the ecu can completely control the engine with no external input from a human as it has a speed sensor input.

Exactly this :thumbsup:

Does anyone feel that you get a werid sensation using it? If you set it then try to push the car past the point (not going as far as the button) you feel yourself wanting to accelerate... but the car doesnt... :smiley:

I find it has comedy value if you set it so your doing blind on 30 in a built up area with some retard in the usual VW/Audi/Merc base model diseasal stuck up your rump...

I find it has comedy value if you set it so your doing blind on 30 in a built up area with some retard in the usual VW/Audi/Merc base model diseasal stuck up your rump...
If anyone is sat up your arris always always always slow down.

Annoys the tits off them no end :wink:

Left foot braking works as well :rofl:! just a touch...:thumbup:

I did that to this b***h in a Saxo vts when I had my 1.2 Clio. Then when she stopped at the traffic lights I got out and shouted at her! She was completely stunned, locked the doors and I think she shat herself! Lol! The only problem was she then burnt me off the lights! Gutted! If only I'd had the 197 then!
Speed limiters are strange, I drive a Transit Connect for work that is limited to 67mph! Its so frustrating on the motorway, especially as it says limited to 70mph on the back! People think you're taking the mick!