Spacers rubbing

c.h 90

Paid Member
Hi guys
Just bought 20mm H&R spacers front and rear for my Clio 200 cup.
The driver side front is rubbing over bumps quite a lot.
The car is riding on cup racer speedlines 8j wheels wrapped in 225/45 r17 and 30mm H&R lowering springs (I think).
I had asked around and it seemed I shouldn’t have a clearance issue with this suspension.

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?

Regards
Cillian
91914e929b02ad29eb8d564f77081ab0.jpg

b066f8f1be95aecb0e8ba59d61be0a2d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Front wheels does seem overly close to the front bumper, unsure if that because of the bad photo..
Running some camber may help, running a 225/45 will be quite a thicker side wall especially running an 8j

There’s no way around this. You’ll have to run without them on the 8j wheels.

The most you would likely be able to run is 10mm. And even then you will likely have some issues over big bumps

Reactions: wootwoot
Ya picture is crap, rain started and I was loosing interest.

It’s a shame as it looks spot on.

So are my options to go back to the standard cup wheels, 7.5j aren’t they?
Or chamber plates?

Ya picture is crap, rain started and I was loosing interest.

It’s a shame as it looks spot on.

So are my options to go back to the standard cup wheels, 7.5j aren’t they?
Or chamber plates?

Camber plates for the top mounts, as your moving the shock and spring (strut) to give negative camber.
As said really your running a wider tire then standard and a wider wheel.

I had scrubbing on the front bumper on the drivers side with ET55 and 225/45. Moved to 215 and added a stack of camber and its sweet

I had scrubbing on the front bumper on the drivers side with ET55 and 225/45. Moved to 215 and added a stack of camber and its sweet

How much chamber are you running?
Don’t the cup racers have a wider front track? Do they get passed this by also running tonnes of chamber.

Could I leave the spacers on the rear and have non on the front or will that cause some funky handling?

How much chamber are you running?
Don’t the cup racers have a wider front track? Do they get passed this by also running tonnes of chamber.

Could I leave the spacers on the rear and have non on the front or will that cause some funky handling?

They run 5mm front spacers and 10mm rear stub axle spacers from memory.

Yes spacers only on the back will affect the handling, I would just take them off, or sell them on and run 7.5J ones with 20mm spacers.

PITA runs 3degrees camber, but he is running Gaz Gold and it's functional camber for track, not just for clearance (that was just a bonus).

Reactions: Beany
Ya I’ll just remove them all together. I like the wheels too much to get rid of them.
Thanks guys.
I might try a smaller spacer like a 10mm or less in the future.

Coincidentally I have 4 20mm H&R spacers with correct 45mm TPI bolts for sale if anyone is interested [emoji23]

I run 8J Speedlines with 225/45, 10mm spacers with Yellowspeed coilovers and 2.5 neg camber all round. No rubbing now but did rub with 20mm spacers.

Reactions: c.h 90
I run 8J Speedlines with 225/45, 10mm spacers with Yellowspeed coilovers and 2.5 neg camber all round. No rubbing now but did rub with 20mm spacers.

Cheers mate. Do you need the -2.5 at the front because you run very low ride height?

Reactions: R5BTC
I run 7.5J ET68 Speedlines with 21mm spacers (making it ET47), so you running a 10mm spacer (making it 8J ET58) will sit 4.7mm further in (for the outer face).

So that would sit well, I am on 225/45/17 on Eibach springs, standard top mounts so whatever the natural camber it makes by lowering and get zero rubbing.

Or you could go to 15mm spacers making yours 8J ET53 and you will poke 0.3mm more than mine (so basically sitting the same).

Cheers mate. Do you need the -2.5 at the front because you run very low ride height?

Yeah it helps. Think Yellowspeeds max out at -2.3 and then I’ve got power flex camber & caster bushes in the wishbone.

Hi guys. Sorry to jump on to this so long after it was posted but having a similar issue with 8j cup wheels. I was running the 19mm KTec spacers but rubbed quite a bit. I went to a Pure Motorsport 10mm spacers but the hub doesn't have enought clearance to locate the wheel correctly. 20220220_014331.jpg

There can be a number of issues with spacers, however, what I believe you are showing is that a 10mm spacer stops the spigot on the standard hub mating with the bore on the wheel because it has taken up all the length. Despite what the internet will often tell you, you do not need to locate the bore of the wheel on the spigot if you have either conical or spherical seat fastenings. The Renault is conical. The cone of the bolt naturally pulls the female cone in the wheel central to it. So each bolt is pulling the corresponding hole in the wheel central to it. So the PCD of holes in the wheel is now concentric to the PCD on the mounting holes in the hub. The important thing is however, that you have sufficient length of thread on the mounting bolt, as if you have standard ones, the spacer has reduced thread engagement by 10mm. The VOSA documentation is a good a explanation as you are going to get.
wheel.PNG

Reactions: peter and RSRowe