Snowy 197

Thanks m8s :smile:...ben_r1...do you mean abs-winter tires-snow or abs-summer tires-snow? I had no special problems with braking on snow, but I think that good winter tires with enough tread is important factor on snowy roads.

Whilst we're on the subject has anyone ever noticed how useless the abs is with 197s in the snow?

Lol i have, I think it is more down to the tyres really, Ive still got the contis on and they are worse than the £40 ones on the GF's car. Just thought I may aswel test it out while I have chance and wont flat spot the tyres - it really wasn't gr8!

Out of interest, do you have any bigger pics of your summer 5 spoke alloys that are in your avatar pic ?

Last winter I did a couple of runs on snow with ContiSC3 and I was lucky then, that I made it back home in one piece. Without the electronic help in 197 (ABS, EBD, ESP) would perhaps be a different story:001_unsure:. "Summer" tires (as we say here in Slovenia) without rough tread pattern are rubbish for use on snow-like ContiSC3, which only have deep grooves for water and small amount of ribs on surface. Snow tires (we call them winter tires) have tread patterns specifically designed to dig down and bite into snow on surface of the road, and also they´re made from softer rubber compounds which are more flexible in cold, the construction of tire is different too.
I work in R&D department for scooter&motorcycle tires and we even produce winter tires for scooters, and they can cope with snow, mud, ice and slush:w00t:...

Normal version:
MC32.jpg

Spiked version:
MC32SPIKED.jpg

In use:thumbup1::
SavaMC32.jpg

Out of interest, do you have any bigger pics of your summer 5 spoke alloys that are in your avatar pic ?

Yes I have lots of pics...here re some...the alloys are 18" Mille Miglia Spider Plus, but I sold them in Sept. to some Volvo S80 owner:tongueout:. Only had them for a short time (7 months), but I loved the "GT look" of 197, also looked much nicer in person then on pics. But the power loss was just too great for me...next spring something lighter...17" Ultraleggeras, can´t wait:redface:.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Last edited:
if some one said to me 5 spoke wheels on a 197 i'd laugh and think it would look crap. but they really do look good!!

Looks bitterly cold over there still! Iv seen some muppets walking around in shorts and flip-flops today (its not THAT warm!)

Took me ages to realise what you 'shopped in the last photo! Looks amazing without a front plate!

Looks bitterly cold over there still! Iv seen some muppets walking around in shorts and flip-flops today (its not THAT warm!)

Took me ages to realise what you 'shopped in the last photo! Looks amazing without a front plate!

It looks happy without that ugly plate :smiley:.

Oh, i dind't notice, another Clio from Slovenia :thumbup: , winter party all day long... handbrake + snow = :thumbup:

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Peter1981 New Members 8
Rick Gallery 11
C Clio General Chat 7
pritchardR27 Gallery 23
Paul Gallery 147