Sky

Anyone work for sky or know anything about it, im after some help.

I have just ordered sky HD with Multiroom. One of the HD boxes has sky+ one doesn't, so one will not be able to record. My question - I have an old Sky HD+ box (about 12 months old) will I be able to use this box instead and then record?

Thanks

I've never come across a HD box that doesn't have '+'. I know a few people with HD Multiroom and all their boxes have + on them. AFAIK you should be able to plug in your old HD+ box, plug in the card supplied and off you go (in the second room).

Fantastic. Thank you both.

I would try it anyway, just wondered if anyone knew.

Apparently its a new thing, multiroom now includes second box free, it just doesnt have +.

Got a great deal (i think) using the live chat if anyone is interested.

Entertainment Extra, Sports and Movies. HD and Multiroom. £44 a month.

I think it will still work. The Standard HD box only has one aerial input but the + has two. I had a standard HD box in my room although there were the two cables that would have allowed me to run a + box.

Aren't the cards linked to the boxes these days? I tried using my card in the same type of box at the exes and it wouldnt work, just got a message saying to please insert the correct card into the box

I will try it when it's installed and let you know! Both boxes will be HD, I thought you needed dual feed for HD :innocent:

It was a discount offered via the live chat. 50% off for 12 months (12 month contract!)

No it won't as you need dual feed to record. Multiroom only has single feed.

You don't need dual feed to record, but it means you can only record what you're watching (or record while the box is off). Most installations these days have 'shotgun' cable so you'll have two feeds to the box.

What you might have difficultly with is IF you only have a single feed to the box, and you plug in your HD+ box to just one input, you have to be very careful how you set things up to record. Most HD+ boxes (or at least the older ones) are a bit dumb, and will let you try and record one thing while you watch another, but obviously that won't work. You may also have difficulty with recording things over night, and the 'showcase' stuff that downloads nightly to your box, as there a few situations where the box deliberately tries to use the second feed (to keep feed 1 free) even if you aren't using feed1 so it f*cks up.

I did a lot of research in to all of this when I bought my flat because in their infinite wisdom Barratt homes decided to wire all 24 apartments with a single feed to a communal dish (on a new build only 6 years ago!). I investigated all kinds of splitter options etc. In the end it was easier to make an agreement with Barratts that I could have my own dish to feed my flat and my mates (who lived downstairs) with a dual feed.

I've got multiroom and 2 sky+ HD boxes, one was bought off eBay the other I got through sky. Both of them record :smile:

I really need to get in touch with Sky, my package is over £70 for less than you're getting (I don't bother with sports) and I hardly watch most things since I got Netflix.

We our our phone, broadband an tv with sky. The best broadband we could get was 0.5mb (shocking I know) for £50pm. Switched over to talk talk an get 5mb tv an phone for £20 less

We didn't bother with the multi room from sky, but when we moved in to our current house we prepared it in advance.
The main sky+ box in the living room is fed direct from the dish in the normal manor, with the main output going direct to the living room TV.
from the box we run the second output upto the loft where we powered up an amplifier/signal splitter, and then ran outputs from this back through the house, one to the master bedroom, one to the dining room and one to the second bedroom.
we still have 2 spare outputs from this if we ever feel the need to add one to the kitchen or third bedroom and all cables are hidden within the walls or under the flooring.

while we were at it we did the same with the Ethernet setup for the smart TV & PC.
From the main hub, hard wired directly to the living room TV, another to the Sky Box, one to the desktop PC in the spare room and one to our bedroom TV.

someone said we were mad doing this but it's come in handy, maybe even future proofed to a degree.

Sky wise, we just pay for the HD package, and we have the movies, sports and everything else required, and due to an old friend working in a sky customer sevices department, we got everythibg at half price. We pay £32 for it all.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Priyank.A Gallery 10
L Clio General Chat 12
Chris General Chat 13
Yiannis197 Site Traders 9
M General Chat 2