Single click when pulling away

Afternoon guys,

I hope someone has a relatively simple answer for this...
My clio 200 makes an audible single click type noise in the following situations:

~Noticeable in the lower gears, predominantly when pulling off in 1st or pulling away slowly in 2nd
~ Is not steering related, eg makes the single click noise when turning or strait off the drive
~does it when the car is warm or cold
~ The click is heard when the clutch has been fully released in that gear, perhaps a second or so after, or 3 or 4 rotations of the wheel
~coming from the front of the car...or so it sounds

The car has had the issue ever since I have had the car (feb) but has never got any worse. Nothing was picked up or mentioned during the first MOT last week.

It's one of those situations where is it a case of "how they are"...

Thanks

are you sure its not coming from the front brakes? the pads sometimes move in the calipers and make a sort of click sound...

failing that is the clutch pedal sensor switch faulty?

Upper engine stabiliser? Mine makes a click/clunk sound occasionally and i've narrowed it down to that.

Can't make my mind up whether to replace all the mounts with k-tec's uprated ones and do away the upper stabiliser, or just to replace with std items. Hmm decisions decisions

It could be the front brakes, but it doesn't sound like a metallic click and is only noticeable when the clutch is released at the top of its travel. Would the clutch pedal sensor make that type of noise?

Chris, I'm 99% sure it's not engine mount or stabiliser related.

Thanks guys

How loud is the noise? The clutch pedal sensor noise is a 'click' but you can tell it's coming directly from the pedal rather than the front of the car.

It's audible at slow speeds or manoeuvring but anything over 3rd gear and the car noise is to loud to hear. It's weird how its consistently about a second, perhaps less, after when the clutch pedal has been released or is near the top of the pedal travel. To be honest it doesn't sound like it is coming from inside the car although it is hard to tell...

As above, is it more of a clunk at all? I have an issue (which I can hear more with the window down) when finishing a gear change to 2nd/3rd and I hear a bit of a clunk. Not sure if this is the same?

Ok I looked into it a little more on he way home. Outside of the car at the front on the passenger side. I suppose it is more of a clunk but not a heavy. Seems to do it at slow speed. Not steering related. It is definitely when you have released the clutch when pulling away or slowing down.

Hope this helps

I'm still calling top stabiliser bar. Have you checked it? It's easy to see if it has any movement. It's very common for the rubber to separate from the metal.

Ok, cheers Chris. I will have a look tomorrow. Where is this upper stabiliser bar? The section behind the near side engine mount?

Mentioned this to a good mechanic friend on the phone last night and he mentioned that it could be a dry driveshaft on the near side, usually seen on Fords where there is often a slight brown dust. Could be a case of removing the driveshaft re greasing and putting back together....

Thanks for your replies.

Cheers guys, it is a funny one. Sutton Park Renault, Burton are going to have a look when my seat base is being fitted next week. I can make it do it on cue so shouldn't be too difficult to locate.... Famous last words.

No, unfortunately not. I took out the mechanic who was assigned to repairing the seat base. He noticed it strait away but said it could be a multitude of things. He did a visual check of underneath the car and checked all rotational parts but could not locate the noise. He did say that he checked the subframe bolts and nipped them up but it has made sod all difference. I will need to book the car in specifically for it. I think it's one of those "wait until it gets worse" scenarios.

For info, Sutton Park Renault in Burton have been brilliant so far with this, my first Renault. I had 2 weeks left on the warranty and they changed the seat base for free due to a slightly soft bolster with minimal wear with absolutely no hassle at all. They did all the leg work for me through Renault UK.

That's pretty good. Shame you haven't found the issue yet, I would like to get mine looked at but don't fancy shelling out any more cash on it this month.

Gonna get my mate to look at mine, will let you know if he finds anything worth checking.

That's pretty good. Shame you haven't found the issue yet, I would like to get mine looked at but don't fancy shelling out any more cash on it this month.

Gonna get my mate to look at mine, will let you know if he finds anything worth checking.

Ok, cheers! We might have to work together on this one.