197: Should I get a 197?

I've currently got a MK3 16V Golf GTI which I've had for around 4 years and I still like it but just fancy a change. There's not a huge amount of hot hatches around that I actually like and I was originally thinking and have been looking around at the Mini Cooper S but for some reason I then had a think about the 197 Clio.

What would be the best choice? Has anyone driven both?

Also, can anyone let me know the size of the boot and whether the back seats fold flat? I've got a dog then currently enjoys lounging around in the large Gold boot! That and I can get my bike (with front wheel removed) in there as well (not when the dog's in there!!)

Thanks in advance for any help, advice or anything else

You'll get a dog in the back easily. We get enough for a weekend away including the buggy in there without folding the seats down.

The boot on the MINI is literally as big as a four Tesco bags. You won't regret buying a 197, superb cars.

I know that was one of my issues with the MINI. I would have to get a dog harness, a rear seat cover and the dog wouldn't like it!

How does everyone get on with the dash? A funny question I know, but it looks a little drab? Also, can the standard stereo be changed or is there any way of connecting an iPod to it.

Sorry for so many questions. I should really take a look around the forum as I'm sure these have been answered before!

A few people on here have changed the headunit and done the iPod thing yeah, it's doable but I've not done it myself so can't shed much light.

The dash doesn't bother me to be honest, it is what it is and it does its job. :smiley: I suppose if you're used to more polished cars like the VW for example then it might feel/look a bit cheap but it's fine really. You won't spend much time looking at it or stroking it anyway I hope!!! :smiley: You could always spray the silver inserts to brighten things up if you wanted to...

Various options for iPod integration, I used a Parrot MKi9200 which was great.

Boot isn't flat with seats down, there is a step up at the "front" of the boot, just behind the rear seats.

Re: the dash, the climate control cars definitely look better than the man a/c cars.

Don't forget you don't have a spare wheel and the dog won't like sharing with one; same in the MINI though, albeit with run flats.

Careful with 197s there are some common faults like broken manifolds and ball joints that are expensive to remedy, and the essential cambelt change is due at 5 yrs, which is v expensive. Same applies to 200s but they are newer so not such a problem yet.

I've owned both the Mini Cooper S and the Clio 197.

Both handle very well, in standard trim the Clio should be faster. Mini feels like a much more expensive car where the Clio feels a bit 'plastic'. The Mini is pretty small inside and the boot is awful, literally no room in it, you wont get your bike in there and the dog would hate it.

Although the driving experience is very similar, they are both pretty different cars to live with. Best advice would be go drive 'em both. When test driving the 197 bear in mind you really have to flog it to start enjoying it, so don't be shy!

Mini was the single most expensive car i've ever owned to fuel too, i modded mine to 240bhp but even so it was very very thirsty.

I have also owned both, well own a 197 now and have owned an R53 MCS. And mk3 golf VR6 as u mentioned golfs.

My MCS was fairly standard compared to others but had a CAI. Works seats. Was lovely. Great build not as good as the RS4 lol but good non the less..quickish and i liked making the supercharger scream.. but again not all about out n out power.I would own another MCS R53 or R56 but am glad I've opted for a 197 this time round. And I feel that the 197 is quicker than my standardish mini and more involving. Couldn't care too much about the difference in interior materials or quality as the197 does exactly what it says on the tin (plus great vfm..) without the need for more weight in the form of heavier plastics etc.

I guess to a certain extent too you should consider if you want to modify much as being forced induction on the mini, higher gains are obviously achieveable for less quid.

By the way I bought the 197 mainly as we have recently had a medium sized dog. Dog guard in n room enough in the boot. Am going to remove the back seats though and deck it out for more dog and camping stuff room. Won't be using the back seats anyway. Not compulsory for our dog size but want to free some additional space up as I intend to cover a lot of the UK camping this year and giving the clio a good spanking!

Boots pathetic in Mini Cooper S! As mentioned above, literally a few shopping bags! Pap

Last edited: