Selling a 197.....

hi guys
just selling my 197 and have a few question to people who are sellign or sold their cars....

where si th ebest place to sell i currently have mine on piston heads (http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/2170351.htm) but wondered if it was a waste of time on autotrader/ebay?

what did you do when they came to test drive as they are not insured?

any other advice on trying to hide a very squeaky driver seat would be grand too!!!!!;/

Cheers :smile:

hmmm not good i was hoping for about 9k but looks like i may have to take the best offer part x if its gonna take a while..........

Mine is an 08 plate with 22k. Albi blue and cup chassis. I have mine up for 10k would take 9 so reckon that's not a bad offer from ford.

Had mine up for sale for 3 months and not even one phone call, best bet if you dont mind taking a hit it to just trade it in for the car you want.

Might as well try the trader as the seem to sell quicker on there IMO. As for the seat mine was the same and I just sprayed wd40 on every hinge lol worked for me.

That's definitely a good offer from the Ford dealership. I got offered £8k from a Saab dealership back in early August for my 57 plate Ultra Red R27, it had xenons and was one owner from new with just under 20,000 miles on the clock. I didn't buy the Saab.

Ended up trading it for a 59 plate 200 from the local Renault dealership in Chichester, where I got £8750 for it.

Yes, R27 197s are sort after. However people don't pay a premium for them.

if ford offered you 8250 for yours there gona offer me far less when i take mine in on saturday as im gettin rid of the clio an gettin a focus st instead.
may have to swap the ozs an milltek back to standard, maybe even sell the recaros jus to get top dollar for it :confused1: can see im gona come away from ford peed off lol

It took me 4 months to sell my 09 plate Yamaha FZ1-N, did not get 1 single phone call from any private buyers, i even had it advertised for less than what other guys were trying to sell their 07 plates for and still no interest, i eventually managed to sell it to a dealer in The Netherlands who comes over the UK regurlarly to buy bikes.

I am now looking for a 182 or 197 but i am not prepared to pay over the odds for one.

It took me 4 months to sell my 09 plate Yamaha FZ1-N, did not get 1 single phone call from any private buyers, i even had it advertised for less than what other guys were trying to sell their 07 plates for and still no interest, i eventually managed to sell it to a dealer in The Netherlands who comes over the UK regurlarly to buy bikes.

I am now looking for a 182 or 197 but i am not prepared to pay over the odds for one.

well if you want to look at mine let me know a deal may available... unfortunately babies due dates are not moveable and we need a 5 door!!!

As I'm looking for a 197 I can give a buyer's perspective which might be useful:

Take good photos!
Not on your drive with another car in the background - go to a nice empty spot where you can take snaps of the car from all angles. A few close up to show condition and always one of the interior where the buyer can see if it has climate or just air con.

Sort all those little jobs
If the wheels need a refurb then get them done - I've seen a few ads where people have said "wheels need some work but I've only be quoted £100 for this". If that's the case then spending £100 on a car that's up for £10k is a no brainer - it shows you care too.

Know your spec
My brother recently looked at one and discovered that it had climate rather than plain air con, and also cornering lights. Neither were mentioned in the ad and there's a chance people might have passed up on it because they wanted cc.

Get a website domain name
You can get a domain name for a fiver odd, so if you make it something memerable such as www.dannys-clio.co.uk then point it to your ad (e.g. Pistonheads) it can go on the flyer you have stuck to your window. Speaking of which...

If you've got a flyer in the window of the car make it readable!
Bump that font size right up so that it's readable when the car passes by, or when overtaking etc. By using your website name that's all any potential buyer has to remember, rather than trying to take down a phone number.

I can't think of any more tips at the moment, but I'll add them if I do!