Search Help

GrottyBananas

Platinum Member
Looking through "Suspension, Brakes & Steering", I goto "Search This Forum" I type in RC5+ get "Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms." :swear:

So try I try Rc5+ and get the same message!

I've tried both "Show Threads" & "Show Post" but no joy.

There must be a trick to this.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

However the point I'm rather unsuccessfully attempting to make, is why when viewing the forum "Suspension, Brakes & Steering", one can actually see under Thread/ Thread Starter the title Rc5+ authored by A2ON. So surely entering that string into the search forum field would result in at least that thread being presented for viewing?

No matter.

(The question that might be posed: why would you search for something you can see is not entirely relevant considering there must be other threads relating to RC5+ and as RC5+ is a different compound from RC5 I would rather the search facility do the leg work than manually trawl through 21 pages of threads.)

Anyway "RC5 pads" works and narrows it down somewhat, so cheers for that (although rather perplexingly "RC5" does not).

I think there is a limit on the length of what you put in the search phrase box before it will search correctly

Thanks MikeH197, is it length or perhaps characters (the + in this instance).

Anyway, I appreciate you taking the time to help.

Hopefully mikedx will be able to answer

I don't have the access Mike has but from what I gather it doesn't search under a certain character limit properly, or doesn't bother at all.
vBulletin indexes words over a certain limit making searching more efficient and RC5 probably is under that limit and so it fails to return anything.
I think the minimum is 4 chacters but the + as mentioned may be interpreted as a logical operator and not an actual search character, at a guess.

Just to note this is the rough conclusion I came to with 2 minutes of googling so it may not be 100% accurate :wink:

I don't have the access Mike has but from what I gather it doesn't search under a certain character limit properly, or doesn't bother at all.
vBulletin indexes words over a certain limit making searching more efficient and RC5 probably is under that limit and so it fails to return anything.
I think the minimum is 4 chacters but the + as mentioned may be interpreted as a logical operator and not an actual search character, at a guess.

Just to note this is the rough conclusion I came to with 2 minutes of googling so it may not be 100% accurate :wink:

That makes a lot of sense.

The following are my thoughts only and are clearly wrong, but I always thought there had to be a space in front of the + before it was, as you say interpreted as an operator.

Still, cheers GT, you talk a good talk.

Grotty I have tried to reply to your pm, but it says you have chosen not to accept Pms. Please can you edit your preferences and let me know, cheers.