Scratched Alloy after Tyre Change

Paul

Platinum Member
Hey, I had my front tyres done last month and with the weather iv not cleaned the car since, Renault have, but Iv not been and looked around. Got to cleaning it today and there is a lovely scratch running all the way around the outside! Not happy!

Iv been in touch with the garage and they said they are going to contact their area manager to see what they can do about it - I know what they are going to do...

I was just wanting to know rough prices for a single wheel refurb, and also if anyone knows the price of the Anthracite alloy, just so that I know if they ask!

P1030591.jpg

i hate it when they have to have the tyres changed, :thumbdown:

they done exactley the same thing on my old Focus, i didnt get anywhere with it because just like you, i noticed it a week or 2 later. they said it could have happened anywhere. :confused1:

hope you get yours sorted tho mate.

same thing happened to me and again i noticed too late - it happened at an independent though and im sure they would just turn round and say it wasnt them!

Im gutted for you guys too then! This garage I use for all tyres so spend an awful lot every year with them. From the way I take it they have admitted it was them by what they have said, one of the mechanics said that the marks fit with the machine they use and the manager said he is speaking with head office. So in my mind that is them admitting liability!

IMO if they cant do the job they should just admit it and not cock up what should be a simple and easy task they do day in day out!

Anybody have any ideas for prices for refurb or new alloy???

Last edited:
I have had the same thing in the past with other cars.

When I needed two new front tyres this time I made sure I cleaned them so they were spotless before hand.

Did the trick, they took just over an hour to change the two front tyres and rotate them around.

As above you are probably looking at anywhere from £35 - £85 but I would push for the wheel to be chemically striped and powder coated as it’s very hard to colour match with wet paint as the wheels would have been powder coated at the factory.

the wheel faces are wet painted from the factory, which is the way I'd always go assuming u find a garage that will bake the paint. The bodyshop I use for wheels does it and they make a cracking job of it, all for £50 cash :wink:

Right bit of an update, they have offered to get the wheel resprayed at their expense. They dont know which company they will be using until I book the car in on a day because they use several different ones, apparently. I am wanting to know what they are planning on doing before I let them near it again but they say they cant really confirm what is going to be done until Ive them the car.

What do you think I should do? Take plenty of photos incase it goes wrong and let them have it or should I stand my ground and get the work done myself somewhere else and send them the bill?

TBH I wasn't going to force them to do that unless they bodge the repair, it should be refurbed quite easily I just dont trust the company to do it!

if they are going to respray just the one wheel, will they be able to get an exact match with the paint? I always understood that you should get all wheels refurbed at the same time. Maybe i'm wrong i'm no expert atall lol

if they are going to respray just the one wheel, will they be able to get an exact match with the paint? I always understood that you should get all wheels refurbed at the same time. Maybe i'm wrong i'm no expert atall lol

Lol dont worry this is what I was thinking/dreading too! Renault scratched one of mine when it was in for a service and when I noticed they sent it out to be sprayed and it came back terrible so I had to wait for a new alloy to be ordered in which took weeks. Im really wanting to avoid any hassle with this but I think it is going to end up being done, and then going to have to get another alloy. Its so annoying that the garage dont seem to be able to answer any questions.

I had one wheel refurbed and now it looks kack honestly I would make them pay for a new wheel as the colour is near enough impossible to match I have an aston martin silver on an anthracite wheel now and I hate it I can see it a mile off. . . .. . and the paint peeling off dont get me started arrrrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Cant Make them pay straight up for a new wheel, you have to let them go down the route of trying to sort there mistake out, and if it comes back total rubbish and they cannot get it to match, or send to another shop to match, then id be speaking to trading standards. But you have to give them the opportunity to sort it first.

Ian

Thanks for your input guys, I will get it booked in and let them know what is going to happen if its not up to standard! I hope they can get it right first time, but TBH Im not holding my breath - if Renault had to order one in I dont think its going to go well...

Assuming they can get an exact colour match to the other 3 wheels. See if rather than buying 1 alloy they would do the whole set, gives you the opportunity to change the colour if you wanted. Would be cheaper than a factory order alloy.