Running gear noise doing my head in, any experts on?

Hi thanks for reading. I lent my car to a friend and it came back with a weird scraping/grinding noise. I know a fair bit about cars but this is absolutly doing my head in. No noise rolling in neutral, no noice when clutch is in and it goes away when i accelerate. Just rolling in gear and deceleration produces a grinding, scraping kind of noise that speeds up depending on how fast the car is going. Sounds like "schur schur schur" but it seems a little faster than the revolution of the wheel. The left hand side wheel is a tiny bit wobbly but i dont know if it could cause it. Doesnt change turning or breaking mainly there when im rolling in gear down a slight hill but its pretty loud. I changed gear oild and checked mounts. Its had a new clutch about 20k ago. I hope to God its not in the gearbox somewhere, hopefully its drive shaft or bearings but it doesnt really make sense. Anyone got an idea? Thanks

A video with decent sound quality of the noise would be a good place to start, very hard to diagnose something over the internet without it!

Does the noise go away when you press the clutch in and free wheel down a hill?

I lent my car to a friend and it came back with a weird scraping/grinding noise.

I know where I would be going first... Have you asked your friend about it? You'd hope that he would be honest with you if he's done something that could have caused damage...

Hi mate I had this with my 172 a few years back, I thought it was the n/s/f wheel bearing race turning on the flange and I changed it, but it ended up being one of the bearings in the gearbox that had gone! Hopefully this is not he case with your car but the way you describe it sounds similar to the noise I had! I thought it was the bearing race turning on the flange as when I stripped the n/s/f bearing off there was marking on flange! How many miles on the car ? Mines was roughly about 89,000.

I have the same noise and its getting louder with time.
did you find what it was or decided to just live with it?
pretty sure its coming from the gearbox.

Sounds like thrust bearing. Nothing to worry about, its annoying but nothing else. You will replace it along with the clutch at a later date.