rs200 wont go into 6th gear??

It's been perfect upto coming home tonight and it just would not go into 6th gear and at one point struggled to go into 5th.its not crunching or grinding just won't even attempt to go into 6th.

Any ideas guys??

It's been perfect upto coming home tonight and it just would not go into 6th gear and at one point struggled to go into 5th.its not crunching or grinding just won't even attempt to go into 6th.

Any ideas guys??

Was it warm and run up?

Is it ok in all other gears ? If so maybe gear linkeage rods or cables ? Can't remember what is on the Clio, in winter on the front wheel drive transits the selector housing seize up and can only get 3rd 4th! You remove the housing from the box to free it off on them.

Sounds like you've damaged the 6th gear synchro ring. If it was a gear linkage problem I doubt you'd be able to get it into 5th as well. Give it a few days if it still doesn't go in I'd say you'd need a gearbox rebuild.

all other gears are fine,it seams fine to go into 6th when the engine is off..cant see how its damaged something inside as it was perfect yesterday morning.

will see what its like for next few days then get it on the lift at work,im going to change the gear oil too.

all other gears are fine,it seams fine to go into 6th when the engine is off..cant see how its damaged something inside as it was perfect yesterday morning.

will see what its like for next few days then get it on the lift at work,im going to change the gear oil too.

If it goes in fine when the engine is not running then it must surely be clutch related. The slave cylinders are made of putty on these so possibly an issue with that. A new slave is about £100 from Renault, but of course it's box off labour so might as well do the whole kit, £250-£300 for genuine clutch kit.
Possible the syncro is ****ed because once the mass of the gear set is rotating it might be screwed enough to not allow selection.... but if it's not crunching and has happened like a switch then for my money I don't think it's that likely. - Also if you pull the box apart you'll already be at the clutch and slave for diagnoses :wink:

Been perfect today so I'm starting to think it may have been me trying to find 6th when I was already in 6th ha ha.

I was about to welcome you to the broken gearbox club.

Been nursing mine for 2 years now, still going.... I was going to say strong, but I'd be lying.

Been perfect today so I'm starting to think it may have been me trying to find 6th when I was already in 6th ha ha.

Ha surely not :lol2: I do that sometimes but ratio change with short final drive means 6th is like my old 5th was - so I'm often looking for a higher gear when it isn't there and thus I have an excuse! :wink: lol

Ha surely not :lol2: I do that sometimes but ratio change with short final drive means 6th is like my old 5th was - so I'm often looking for a higher gear when it isn't there and thus I have an excuse! :wink: lol

Was thinking the same! Lol, tho as [MENTION=38628]TB Rich[/MENTION] said when I haven't driven the clio for a few days and jump in, on the motorway I have found myself looking for 6th when I am already in due to the gear ratio. I used to have the old ratio 197 box before it got replaced in 2013 for a brand new 200 box so hopefully that's my excuse lmao!

yea i also drive my vw caddy van that does 100mph at the same rpm as the clio does at 70mph and im used to that ha ha.

Was thinking the same! Lol, tho as @TB Rich said when I haven't driven the clio for a few days and jump in, on the motorway I have found myself looking for 6th when I am already in due to the gear ratio. I used to have the old ratio 197 box before it got replaced in 2013 for a brand new 200 box so hopefully that's my excuse lmao!

ha well I think we could let you off if going the other way, but the 6th in the 200 box is longer than the original ratio 197 box so it should have been better for you :lol:! Regardless though the gearing on them all is pretty short. If you drive around now in your 200 box using 5th as top...that's my 6th :blush:hmy:!