Road & Track 197 Cup

Bought my Renault Sport 197 Cup last month - factory Cup chassis, Recaros, Cup Spoiler etc.

It had been a wife's little runabout for the last 4 years and was in great condition, although with the infamous Recaro bolster wear which I will need to get fixed, plus more worryingly, a crunching 4th gear syncro.

I sold my Porsche last autumn and was missing a fun weekend toy - and having several mates with Clio's I thought I would try one. This will be used at weekends, for the odd runabout to go get a takeaway and most importantly - track car.

Here she is as I bought her - fairly grimy:

IMG_0070_zpsa46e6552.jpg

And after a good wash and brush-up at home:

IMG_0072_zps8a3786db.jpg

IMG_0073_zpsbb5d4847.jpg

IMG_0074_zps087871a5.jpg

What track plans you got for it? Full on strip and cage?

Like the last picture, meaty rear end.

It's going to be used a lot as a road car so won't be stripping and caging it.

I raced in the UK Alfa Romeo Championship many years ago and used to drive my racers on the road in the early days before I went 'full on'. A caged, stripped and harnessed car on the road is just awful in my opinion - great on the track, but horrible on the road.

This car will have quite a few delicious things done to it but within the boundaries of keeping it sensible as a road-going car for now. Kind of like a 'Simoxmino Lite' i.e. not as extreme as his in the engine/suspension dept. but still very useable nonetheless.

New gearbox fitted now - got it from RSC from their batch of NOS genuine Renault boxes. Fitted with new genuine Renault clutch kit.

IMG_0107_zpsb5326ae2.jpg

The car also had some play in the steering rack, so a new genuine Renault steering rack was installed at the same time.

Flatspot will be easy enough to map out once the OP has finished with their mods though :smile:.

Nice little project, you seem to be making good progress. And [MENTION=150]simoxmino[/MENTION]'s car is great inspiration to work with.

tbh - I don't mind the flat spot, it's really not as bad as people make out. I was expecting a sluggish, horrible, prolonged flatspot after reading all the scare stories on here. It's not that bad at all, although I will get it remapped once everything is bolted on.

In the meantime, complete brake system flush and renewal with Super Blue Racing which has a ridiculously high wet boiling point of 198 degrees C.

P1030040_zps6b1e15a3.jpg

P1030042_zpsc3a834a1.jpg

And now for some Gordini action...

I wasn't super-excited about the standard steering wheel that my Cup came with.. not a great feel, I found it a bit thin and it was starting to show signs of wear after 59k miles.

Wanted a TDC marker in any case and found a genuine Renault Gordini steering wheel- et voila!

From this...

IMG_0111_zpsa9ef9396.jpg

To this...

IMG_0165_zps1ae07a56.jpg

Acquired some genuine Cup Racer Speedlines too... these will be my track day wheels and I'll likely replace the standard Cup alloys at some point with a black set of Speedlines, or just get the Cup alloys refurbed.

P1030043_zps9f597da2.jpg

IMG_0163_zps03d9142b.jpg