Renault's Pony Oil Filter

For anyone still running the pony standard filter fit a fiat item..

269308_10151014685901458_1823216036_n.jpg

straight swap & massive increases in filter area.
-Andy

Have you posted that before?

If you have'nt i've dreamt that information, i have a few alfa filters left and thought 'thats handy' :'(

Big difference in size. Bigger isn't always better though, could it be that the Renault one is just very efficient?

Or is it another case of them using whatever was in the parts bin?

I'd stick with what renault specified, you have no idea what the size particles they're designed to filter out. I mean the renault one might filter particles less than 5 microns whereas the fiat one might filter particles less that 10microns.

Just because it's small doesn't mean its worse.

This is true (regarding filtered particle size) but Renault have used a similar filter from the R5 till now -I'll stick with the fiat ones, after having one big end failure and numerous reports of F4R's having the same, you're better off having 10micron particles than having the oil filter by-pass open because of a blocked filter like mine did (genuine Renault filter at 600miles from service). Also worth noting: If you buy an aftermarket oil filter eg a Champion for example the filter media used will more than likely be the same for all oil filters to save manufacturing costs.

Andy

bigger takes longer to fill up and build oil pressure. If the non return valve (often missing on non genuine filter) doesn't hold oil in the filter, you'll damage the crank after a few dozen cold starts

one of those filters doesnt have enough inlet holes either....

engine bearings are made to pick up small particles of dirt that might by-pass the filtration system

an engine will fail if the wrong filter is fitted and not because of a few microns of dirt

when you take off the renault filter its always full of oil and dribbles all down the engine block - wish it was in a better position :sleep:

Pretty sure cup racers run a similar filter to the OEM size. Good enough for them it's good enough for us.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gazeratti Latest Technology 32
luke3 Spotted 1
Arran Spotted 11
Roy Spotted 0