Removing Mirror Caps

Here's a quick guide to removing the wing mirror caps, as requested by Ozi. Thanks to spinky for the spare mirrors and the help too! Sorry for the quality - phone pics...

Please note I did it with mirrors removed from the car, you should be able to use the same method if they are still attached - I won't be responsible for any breakages either way though :tongueout:

1. Push the mirror glass in at the side closest to the car (use the electric controls if they are still attached)

Then get you fingers behind the edge and pull fairly hard on the glass. It's clipped in quite well but comes out fine with a bit of force:

4262619141_609d9beba7_o.jpg

2. You will then need to remove the plug connected to the back which I believe is the heated mirror option. This just pulls out:

4263370304_a97130a000_o.jpg

3 & 4. The clips are located as shown - there are 5 in total. One clip is located at the thin part near the car.

2 of the clips on mine are broken as you will see, but 3 clips still holds the cover on solidly. Make sure the plastic is not cold when you do this - they are VERY brittle. Soften them up a bit with a heat gun if you need to.

4262617185_344f65344a_b.jpg

You can use a small screwdriver to push the clips off their locator tabs.

Before you try to remove the cover, bend the wing mirror inwards as if you had electric folding mirrors. (I'm not sure if you can force the electric ones as mine doesn't have that option and just push in)

Gently start to pull the cover off from the corner shown. (I'd already started flatting the paint down prior to this as you can see):

4263369964_4a467d1a69_b.jpg

You will be left with this:

4262618841_4529a139e2_o.jpg

As you can see the first 2 clips are broken, but it doesn't effect them being held on.

Re fit everything in the opposite way.

Hope this is helpful to some of you!

Adam

Thanks mate.

I have a question somebody may be able to answer. I noticed this little tab under the drivers side mirror but never thought it was for anything, until I took the cover off and it has wires going to it. What's it for??

4262620083_56f4fb6bc8_b.jpg

Thanks mate.

I have a question somebody may be able to answer. I noticed this little tab under the drivers side mirror but never thought it was for anything, until I took the cover off and it has wires going to it. What's it for??

4262620083_56f4fb6bc8_b.jpg

its the external temperture sensor mate,

Today I finally felt a little better cause on monday my right wisdom teeth have been removed so I tried to get the sidemirror caps off. While doing this I thought I would make some photos to make this "how to" a little better.

Removing the mirror is really simple and a quick job. To remove the connector on the mirror you have to push down this clip and then it just comes off.
IMG_0244Small.jpg

Tried to remove the mirror cap like mradam87 posted but while removing it I really had a bad feeling that I would brake off the clips so tried it another way.

First I warmed the plastic with my "heatgun". Really be careful when doing this cause you can do quite some damage if you overheat the mirror cap. Heat it a bit and then feel it with your hand if it's warm enough.
IMG_0243Small.jpg

I removed the caps in a different order then mradam87. I worked myself from the outside inwards. For this method you'll need two screwdrivers. With one you'll be pushing the clip over the "holder" inside the mirror and with the other you'll be pushing the mirror cap away. Something like this.
IMG_0245Small.jpg

I found out that the best way to do this is to first get the bottom clips over the "holders" (with holders I mean that plastic "bump" which is holding the clip in). After getting them lower ones off you've done the most hard part of this removal. The upper clips will then come out fairly easy. You just need to move the upper clip over the holder and pull it on the upper side. I could get my fingers in between the cap and mirror so I didn't need the second screwdriver anymore.

This is really not a got pic but you get the idea how to push the clip of the holder
IMG_0246Small.jpg

Here comes the tricky part for the outer most clip which you actually can't see but by doing it this way round you can lean the mirror cap towards yourself so far that you can see the clip just a little bit. It's best to grab a really small screwdriver for this. Then just push the screwdriver between the clip and it's holder
IMG_0249Small.jpg

.....and viola the mirror cap is off with no broken clips :thumbup1:
IMG_0247Small.jpg
IMG_0241Small.jpg

Clean the caps and you're ready to go :thumbup1:
IMG_0250Small.jpg