Recommend me a brake set up !

Adrian

Platinum Legend
Platinum Member
In preparation for Scotland in July, as well as getting a remap at TDF, I am looking to upgrade the brakes with HEL braided lines and a new pad disc set up. Will also need fluid too. Only really needed for fast road use, but wanting do track days in the future POSSIBLY !

Recommendations ? Any proven set ups that are better than standard?

I am in the same situation i have bought some goodridge lines as I know the product from bikes, and was thinking about the drilled front discs they do for the 200.
I can recomend ebc yellow stuffs for a good budget choice I have them on the old mans elise but do take a little longer to get upto temp.
As for fluid Help!

I'd recommend carbon lorraine pads as long as you can put up with the possibility of them squealing a bit (Mine sometimes when lightly braking).

They're a massive step up from standard in terms of braking feel and work amazingly well from cold, unlike most other uprated pads. These on standard discs will work well

The Motul 600 fluid comes highly recommended, or if you plan on bleeding them yourself ATE Super blue is good as its blue in colour so easier to see when you've fully bled the system

everything will be fitted at a garage by a professional ( NOT ME ! ), may see if TDF can do it when I get a map done.Looking for middle of the range stuff price wise I suppose. Could stretch if I needed too ....

Ferodos if for pads if you cant afford carbon lorraine, stop on the money.

The last discs I had were the brembo grooved black discs and that was an awesome combination at around £300.

Got some solid brembos now with some OEM brake pads and the brake pads will be changed at the earliest oppurtunity, cheaper for a reason and overheat far too quickly.

standard discs + ferodo ds2500 pads

full brake service - rears strip/clean/lube - standard pads fine

brake fluid change :thumbsup:

Go with mark's suggestion

DS2500/carbone lorraine is personal preference. Carbone lorraines will be better when cold but DS2500 probably never squeal, lorraine's sometimes will

DS2500 pads on the front
Standard pads on the rear
HEL Lines
Motul RBF 600 fluid.

to be honest this is what I am swaying towards, but with the DS2500 on the back aswell. My discs may last a while yet, will have to see how they fair on a track day before July .....

to be honest this is what I am swaying towards, but with the DS2500 on the back aswell. My discs may last a while yet, will have to see how they fair on a track day before July .....

standard on rear - your only wasting money and they dont do much "work" to be honest !

standard on rear - your only wasting money and they dont do much "work" to be honest !

noted - not much to improve on standard discs then? Not bothered about drilled discs, but heard that grooved ones can help.

Agreed. Uprated rears are a waste and for the most part, as are drilled/grooved front discs. The extra ??% cost doesn't equal the same extra ??% in performance and your pads will last longer on plain discs too.

Pagids have a very progressive range from cold stops to track day stamina, but they ain't cheap. I've got another set of discs and some CLs in the garage I'm going to run on the next track day to see what the difference is compared to my current set up?... I might end up keeping the Pagids for the road and ruining CLs on track with them being much cheaper to replace.

Haven't felt the need for braided lines yet, my pedal is high, firm and progressive... it's often cheap pads suffering compression that's the problem, rather than expanding lines.

Last edited:
Be interested to hear what you think of the CLs compared to the pagids, can't imagine the pagids could be any better than the CLs really

I'd go for grooved discs if you're replacing them anyway but if your standard discs are still fine then just keep them

I've run CLs before, but found them a bit too much on my old car - big disc and a powerful caliper meant anything but a warm day was an ABS beater, they sure do bite!! The Clio's are a bit smaller though, so it shouldn't be a problem.

The Pagids have such beautiful progression and feel, it'd be hard to beat that, but in terms of pure stopping power I can't see them being better either.

I got some cheap discs off Twingogeekio, anything of similar quality and grooved was silly amounts more. If they're about the same next time I'll give grooved a whirl. I avoid drilled like the plague.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts on the CL V Pagid Mike :smile:

I'm a massive fan of Pagid pads, having tried almost all the other major brands out there, i always end up back with Pagid. The cost is prohibitive though, and as i bought the Clio to save money, i'm looking for cheaper options, though i refuse to compromise too much just to save alittle money!

They're a lot up front, but I tend to find they last longer than other makes so make up for it. Try speaking to Questmead, mine were about £200 which is a fair bit cheaper than you can get them elsewhere for. You might need a trade account though, they're not really a shop as such.

I'll give the CLs a good hit in Feb and feed back, my mate's been running them on his 200 and says they're pretty much as good as the Pagids he runs on his Elise. Hence me giving them another shot.

Otherwise, of all the other ones I've tried, Carbotech's XP range have been the next best. I'm sure you know these from the Evo world?? As soon as I've worn a set of pads out, I'm going to send them the backing plates to copy. Usually £120ish a set and spot on!

Thanks for the link :wink:

I had AP 6 pots with XP8's on the Evo 6 RS (car came with them) - alright, not exactly Carbotechs most hardcore pad but "adequate" for Ring use, not sure how they would stand upto somewhere like Cadwell though.

Clios got some cheapo pads in a.t.m which the supplying dealer fitted - had all on getting the ABS to kick in today on a damp road :eek:

Was hoping to do half a day somewhere to get a feel for the car in standard trim but looking like the brakes are going to have to be upgraded first!!

I had XP8s on the Alcons, never faded yet were placid enough to use on the road. I've a pic of them glowing somewhere.

I'm guessing I had a fair bit less power than your Evo though?

Decent pads and fluid, it's all the car needs. I was all set for going 330mm 2-piece discs.. but I can't actually find a good reason to do so, I just can't run the thing out of brakes on track as it is now.