Recommend a convertible..............

We've considered selling the clio to save money on our loan payment, decided against it, now Kirstys got the bug and now wants a change........ for a convertible!

As much as i'd love to sell the clio and run a £1000 car, in realism I think she'll want to spend around what we would sell the clio for.

I'm not convinced as the few cars i like don't seem to be an sensible option, so what would you buy if you sold up and were replacing with a convertible?

I like the focus cc (although very bad reputation for leaky roofs - and very very slow compared to the clio)

Astra twin top 2.0T (falls into £425 tax bracket so a no go, and 1.8 is only 147bhp so think that would be sluggish)

Then theres e46 bmw, and z4's, but not sure we could afford to run one, unless we reduced our loan.

Ford have increased the warrenty period due to the roof leaks though haven't they? HAs it got to be a big soft top or would an MX5 surfice?

If you want a reliable fun car with a drop top then it's a 2.0i sport MX5. I swopped from one to my Clio. They're great cars and well built too.

a9a3db23.jpg

964440f3.jpg

Last edited:
Honda S2000? Possibly the most reliable car ever made!

Instantly what I thought of too, I think they are a high insurance group but they are bullet proof and I think they have about the best customer satisfaction rating of ANY car from recollection.

Like:
Honda-S2000.jpg

One of the most disappointing cars and dated cars i ever drove was the S2000. Although Im sure the VTEC was pumped on it, at least i hope it was. Digital displays inside havent aged well nor the rest of the interior. . Outside it still looks awesome though.

Id got for a folding hardtop though, the rag top in the winter we just had is terrible if the cars left outside, icicles on the inside of the MX5.

Although its not its not my choice of car, the MX5 is supposed to be the one to have.

i've driven both, and the s2000 was a world ahead, for me, of an already excellent car which is the mx5. my dads s2000 defiently has functioning vtec, hence the sub 6 secs to 60. it feels so tight and solid to drive.

I was a little underwhelmed with the S2000 and I'm a huge Honda fan.

Their handling, group 20 insurance status and top tax band have alway put me off.

Another for the MX-5, my mrs has one and (in the dry) it feeld like its on rails! Her's is only the 1.8 but it's pretty rapid still, and no traction control switch there! (Clio still has its pants down though :tongue_smilie:smile:

not if you look on youtube and see all the videos about rattling engines :nope:

there's always going to be poor examples of every car. when it gets to 2024, it'd be interesting to compare one of our cars to an s2000, for build quality, what still works, etc etc.

As much as I do lilting s2000, the insurance is just astronomical! When I had my st220 a few years back I considered changing to one, I was paying around £700 for my insurance, they wanted £3900 for the Honda! Or £1200 for a scooby sti!

I'd forgotten the mx5, think that could definitely be an option.

As for the focus, according to the owners club the warranty only covers roof leaks for the first year!?!
I think boxters would be too old/high mileage for our budget!

I think realistically 10k tops, but really would be dependent on what the Clio sells for!

She originally wanted rear seats, but i can't remember the last time we ever had anyone in the back. As for a boot, don't really need much of one.