Recaro seat replacement under warrenty

parkincj

Paid Member
I am currently talking to Renault UK about having my drivers side seat replaced due to excessive wear on the base and the upright stitching splitting. The car is still in warranty and has done 24,000 miles.

I have done some reading on the forum and it appears quite a few people have had the same problem, and I get the impression from the guy I have been speaking to at Renault UK, it is quite a common fault.

As it stands at the minute, Renault have offered to pay 85% of a new seat leaving me with about £120 to pay, I have rejected this offer and want them to pay for the lot.

Has anyone else experienced this? and did you get Renault to pay the full amount?

Cheers
Chris

Make them pay the whole amount! It's a very common fault with the RS Recaro's.

I have had my drivers and passenger replaced under warranty with 23k on the clock and the passenger side only had minor wear.

I had my base replaced at around 17k miles. The foam had collapsed uder the bolster allowing the frame to rub on the material.

its a right pain really, and its only going to happen again, leather covered seats look promising.

They should replace the full unit, 85% my backside, cant belive they would be so cheeky.

I had mine done under warranty at no cost. Tell them you know of several cars that have had it done and they need to do the same too. Get the reg's for the gallery if needed.

I was talking to Kosluk at the National meet and he was saying that he spoke to Steve at Edge Automotive (site trader) about just getting the seat sides done in leather so they are more durable - it is easily possible and not too much £££ either. It might be worth becoming a paid member and checking the threads out or dropping him a PM to enquire.

someone i know has had his recaros replaced 3 times.....and he hasnt had to pay :thumbup1:

The more topics i read of this nature, the happier i feel about not spec'ing the bloody things on my 200. Why should you have to go through all this hassle when its obviously a fault in warranty period!?

Don't be cocky, the standard seats aren't much better.

Eh? I have yet to read a topic on here or RUK's forums about standard seats needing to be replaced under warranty and RUK refusing. Unless im mistaken of course in which case im sorry.

Obviously this is aimed more at myself being a 200 owner as the problem was unknown by 197 owners at the time of ordering so not much you guys could do. Hence me saying I'm happy I didnt spec them.

Tell them to cough up mate, I had mine replaced under warranty with no questions asked. My car only had 10k miles on it at the time but they never batted an eyelid actually had them fitted the day after I took the car in.

DO NOT PAY FOR WARRANTY ITEMS.... :wink:

they are suggesting that because I didn't buy the car from new, there is a grey area as to where the damage has come from. I said it was totally irrelevant and a product of faulty parts.
Will try the approach that other people get them done under warrenty, see where that gets me. The upright of the seat has split at the bottom in a place cannot be associated with wear and tear, so I though it would have been an easy decision.

The whole wear and tear thing doesn't sit with me in a car under warranty.

Seats should out last the warranty irrelevent of design or 'abuse', unless you carry razors in your pockets then the material should last.

Ive had Drivers and passenger base replaceed under warranty, had to keep at them about the passenger one but if you quote the sale of goods act to them, im sure they will shift - it basicly says any item bought should last resonable time etc etc and wear and tear over its life.

whats the chances out of warranty ?

seems to me the seat has a manufacturing problem they all wear very quick mines a 28k old late 57 plate ?

i might get in contact as the seat all has problems ''not fit for purpose ''

leigh

small update from me

Although my car is out of warranty on a 57 plate RUK have agreed to pay 98% of the costs towards reuphulstering my drivers seat,

Result and fantastic customer service,

Leigh

small update from me

Although my car is out of warranty on a 57 plate RUK have agreed to pay 98% of the costs towards reuphulstering my drivers seat,

Result and fantastic customer service,

Leigh

Thats pissed me off even more now, RUK will be getting a phone call tomorrow. Just to check, how bad is the wear on your drivers seat?

It's not bad bad but the base has stopped working putting strain on the material .
Fact is the seat is not fit for purpose it's a design floor , my passenger one has already been done and the material is different !
My car has only just finished it's manufacture warranty.

Keep on at them !

Good luck