Rear calipers being a ****

Alright folks, having issues with my drivers side rear caliper, it won't wind back easily, the passenger one is fine.

If I pumped the peddle while the pads are out just a little do you reckon it will unstick enough to wind it back?

Just to note, the handbrake adjuster is free

These are known for being a pain. I wouldn't 'pump' the peddle as such, just give it a little press, Slowly! The piston should move out a little. You'll only need slight movement. If you push it out so far it won't go back in.
remember the pistons wind in, they don't just push back in. Just mentioning that incase your just trying to push it straight back.

These are known for being a pain. I wouldn't 'pump' the peddle as such, just give it a little press, Slowly! The piston should move out a little. You'll only need slight movement. If you push it out so far it won't go back in.
remember the pistons wind in, they don't just push back in. Just mentioning that incase your just trying to push it straight back.

[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106] yeah I remembered to wind it in but I had to lube up the seal a little as that was stuck too so was twisting if you know what I mean? The piston would only screw back a couple of mm hence why I thought i wee bit gentle peddle pressure would work, just hope I don't need a new caliper.

Also wanted to overhaul the front calipers, but one of the bleed nipples are burst.....this is gonna be a prize pain in the jinker piece

What's your take on putting new pads on fairly decent used discs? Seems a waste to chuck on new discs when the ones on it are decent

Have you got a proper calliper wind tool? As you have to apply quite a bit if force with a twisting motion to get the piston back.

The general rule of dics to pads ratio is 2 pads for one set of discs, but that providing they aren't lipped and pitted to death.

Alright folks, having issues with my drivers side rear caliper, it won't wind back easily, the passenger one is fine.

If I pumped the peddle while the pads are out just a little do you reckon it will unstick enough to wind it back?

Just to note, the handbrake adjuster is free
hi mate i had this issue a couple of months back and caliper was knackered!! i got a caliper for £90 inc vat. just remember its your brakes and dont want to take any chances!!

hi mate i had this issue a couple of months back and caliper was knackered!! i got a caliper for £90 inc vat. just remember its your brakes and dont want to take any chances!!

Totally agree, I'm borderline obsessive when it comes to things being right so I don't let it lie.

Got my eye on a replacement on eBay, had exactly the same issue as this with the family zafira and had to replace the caliper, just a bit pissed as I've forked out for so much lately and wanted to get new discs to go with the carbone lorraine pads I've got waiting to go on....feckin French motors lol

Well I never.....bit of grit and determination and I got the blighter freed off, not without strife.

Had to remove the whole caliper and grip it in a vice to use my wind back tool to then free it off!!!

It's free and releasing from the disc as the pressure is taken off the pedal but I still wonder if it's gonna bind again, hmmm?!!!

Oh and geezo, carbone Lorraine pads are in a league of their own, only took the car for a few miles to settle them in, amazing bite, I'll take my time to bed these in I think. Can tell they're gonna be harsh on my discs and God they squeal, think I'm gonna have to get some anti squeal backing stuff

Last edited:
The general rule of dics to pads ratio is 2 pads for one set of discs, but that providing they aren't lipped and pitted to death.

Thanks for the input mate

The discs aren't lipped at all, lucky if they've done 3-4000 miles pads too, i skimped on rear pads and went for apec and ds2500 fronts (waiting to be flames) hence why I've just fitted CL RC6 all round, hope the squeal settles down lol

Similar Thread Suggestions