Rear brake high pitched squeal leading to.. :S

I'd noticed the drivers side rear brake had developed a high pitched squeal when on the motorway.

Got the chance to pull the the caliper off today for a clean and copper grease the backs of pads etc.. which i hoped would fix it.

I found the inside pad has broken away a bit and now looks a bit poor.

I cleaned and greased everything up and reassembled but should i be replacing the pads? and should I be doing both sides (as in drivers and passengers)at the same time?

if so I guess i'll need a piston winding jobbie to replace the pads unless anyone has any easy alternatives?

so is it worth it - or should i just have the stealers do it? (as much as I hate to let them touch anything!)

Last edited:
yep need changing and both also need doing at the same time.
Looks pretty bad that
mine seams to rub also, should really check it out

dammit.. was expecting that reply tbh!

they do look bad - pretty much crumbling away.

Glad i checked them sort of...

Yeh get them changed, gonna do mine in the next few weeks then that will be new all round with the 1144s upfront!!

ok - looks like i need to weigh up whether its worth buying the tool or just having dealers do it? i guess i'll have the tool for other times then..

yep :thumbup1: - so has anyone used Pagid pads on theirs.. on eurocarparts for 25quid ? I'm leaning towards O.E. but don't like the look of them crumbling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kent197
its probably crumbled away due to being slightly siezed and getting hot all the time

replace the full set

and you dont need a wind back tool - look for the "how to" !

haha this is the kind of alternative i was looking for! i might just have to give your method a go before giving in and getting the tool.:thumbup1:

I wouldn't bother getting anything other than standard pads for the rear. They don't serve much purpose other than for the handbrake lol! Seriously it is about 10-20% of the braking force. If you go for pads that need heat to work then you won't get it and will be wasting you £££

the pagids i mention are just regular OE replacements, nothing special - just cheaper

agreed the rear doesnt do alot

Mine have started to make a high pitched noise, need to strip them down. Might just book it in to Renault tbh, it's still under warranty until January!

the brakes need a yearly strip/clean/lube and then will be fine - its well worth the effort or indeed the cost for someone to do it :thumbup1:

i've got some pads now and will do a fluid change at the same time.

Has anyone stripped the caliper carrier pins on the rear (the bit that the caliper bolts to)? if so whats involved? i take it its just a sping?

i guess these might be the source of my brakes sticking in the first place?

I've not changed the carrier pins or taken them off on mine so can't help you.

But I changed my rears and they were in a similar state TBH. Mine actually came away from the disc in pieces they were that seized! For the sake of £32 (from halfrauds) for the piston winder I'd just buy one and save yourself the hassle. Especially if you plan on doing it regular. Mine were ****ters to wind back without the tool!

BTW stealers charge a fortune, I was quoted £250 for all my pads changing, I bought the pads for £65ish + copper grease, pin punch, winding tool, brake cleaner it was maybe £110 all in but the tools I keep and still saved myself £140 :smile:

P.S I also owe a thanks to the guys that wrote the brake clean/strip/change guides on here!

Thanks guys - I did get a piston winder for £17 quid in the end - i'd rather do it properly first time for that price - although making 'special' tools is fun!