Raspy, chattering noise from 3200-3600

I have had this for a long time. It is most audible between 3200 and 3600rpm. The noise is very pronunced when the engine is cold and goes away when hot, unless under load. I was driving up a slope yesterday and the noise was clear to hear in second gear, but went away at the same RPM in first.

It sounds like it comes from the right side of the engine.
Could it be the dephaser? The crank pulley or worse...piston skirt?

EDIT 1: After watching the videos on youtube it sure sounds like the dephaser. Strange since it is relatively new. As far as I can recall the sound appeared after I changed the belts. I need to have someone rev the engine while I do some poking around with my stethoscope.

EDIT 2: After poking around under the car and shaking the exhaust the sound is completely gone. I don't really see how anything I did could be the cause as nothing was loose or touching anything. Can a failing dephaser come and go before it finally fails? Could messing arund with the electrical cables on top of the engine (right side) cause the sound to dissapear if something has a bad connection?

Last edited:
dephasers on 197/200 don't really give much trouble

its difficult to say/diagnose an engine noise over the internet...

Hi had a noise like this with my 197 when I first got it and the flexi where away on the manifold! Just not split yet so no exhaust blow! Just a thought!. I put it on the ramp in work and had a look up with a torch to see the flexi .

Thanks for the excellent tip. I just checked the flexi and gave the exhaust a good shake. The v-band clamp was loose. Aftet tightening the noise is gone. I still thinkt he flexis are on their way out, but I'll let them struggle on for a while longer.

The flexis wear rather quick. When cold u will hear a pop/bang/rasp when changing gear (normally first to second))- this tells u its on it way out. It may be like this for a while, but once its gone u will know about it! It has been known for Renault to make a contribution towards replacement (I have worked for them) - but don't get your hopes up as they are very reluctant to pay out for it!
!

Thanks for the excellent tip. I just checked the flexi and gave the exhaust a good shake. The v-band clamp was loose. Aftet tightening the noise is gone. I still thinkt he flexis are on their way out, but I'll let them struggle on for a while longer.

No probs m8 glad you found it.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
6705russell Clio 197 Area 1