rack ends?

hi clio to garage today due to a knocking sound on going over bumps snd turning whilst doing low speeds, they said it needs new rack ends, im not at all mechanically minded any ideas please? cost ect? they did say they not totally worn but knocking noise is driving me mad

This probaly won't fix the problem as the knocking noise is a very common fault nobody seems to be able to diagnose.

It's unlikely you have worn track rod ends at anything under 30000 miles unless you bounce of kerbs like a pinball.

The track rods themselves (not the track rod ends, but the part between the ends and the rack) are known to wear on many Renaults, I am getting mine done at the moment.

Took mine to the dealers a few times for this very reason.

In the end they replaced both front springs for a newer "more durable" part and it has cured it. I've only had it back a few days but so far so good.

The difficult thing is that in order to change the springs they obviously had to disassemble the front suspension so it could have been anything in that process that cured it in reality.

Apparently they did this as a result of a 'common fault' issue noted on the Renault system, stating to replace front springs for this new part.

Just have to push them for it.:thumbup:

Last edited:
I've got the knocking noise with coilovers so i doubt the popular 'common knock' issue is to do with springs, maybe a rarer side fault.

I've got the knocking noise with coilovers so i doubt the popular 'common knock' issue is to do with springs, maybe a rarer side fault.

That's what I meant when I send it was solved as a by-product of changing the springs - it was likely another issue that was solved by re-building the entire front suspension.

I also got new front springs out of it so I can't complain. I've only had the car back a few days though so I'll update if it comes back once everything settles back into place.

if its knocking when pulling away it wont be rack ends

you will feel that as excessive play in the steering

the knock pulling away will be one of the ball joints on the bottom arm or hub carrier

i changed all rack ends, track rod ends and hub carrier and it transformed the car.

the ball joint was gone and knocked pulling away and going over speedbumps etc