Racing Blue 197 few updates.

Looking good so far Matt!!! I like the tow strap, some won't, but I do. Fancy knocking me up a bar/bracket like that!?! :wink:

The old ''ghosted'', if that helps you describe it, bird dirt will need polishing off. It's a bit of a boring job as it usually takes a while but it's worth doing. I've got one on my bootlid that I've managed to miss for nearly 18 Months and only just noticed today. D'oh!!! So that's on my to-do list the same as yours, but it'll be after we get the winter out of the way now as I've already waxed her.

Looking forward to seeing the Gulf Clio take shape. :smile:

Cars looking very good indeed. Your plans sound really good for it too! The orange calipers should like a nice plan as well. Not seen many cars straying from the red/silver calipers!

ok guys, decided to give it a once over today. and i needed to attack my random water problem, as i explained at the start of the thread when i broke heavily and water was spraying out the sides of the bonnet and up over the sides of the windscreen.

In my hunt i found these pools hidden away under all that plastic;
P1030567.jpg
P1030568.jpg

basically it was full of gunge and general S**T i had to use wire down the pipes to clean them out so the water could flow out of them. and cleaned the general area.

P1030571.jpg
P1030572.jpg

Then carried on with the clean and thanks to being round the corner from Maguires HQ got these cheeky snaps

P1030598.jpg
P1030590.jpg
P1030589.jpg
P1030586.jpg
P1030592.jpg
P1030593.jpg

What are peoples thoughts on the H&R springs?

Thanks
Matt

Last edited:
Looking good mate.

I think they're acid marks etched intothe clear coat (from rain or bird ****) and the only way to get rid of them is a machine polish by a pro or maybe mild sanding.

Yeah i had that feeling it is definatly etched in! No point this side of xmas may wait till the nex year and start of show season.
Matt

Hi guy... and girls :wink:
P1030598.jpg
Just dropping a quick hello as ive had my 197 for ooooohh 4 days now! Its pretty bloody awesome :smiley: haha a step up from my 106 GTI anyways :tongueout:
IMG_0415.jpg
IMG_0405.jpg

Anyways, names Matt I'm a fabricator for Jag Land Rover prototype cars so i get chop up and make some cool stuff and some boring stuff, but if i told you what id have to kill you, Confidentiality and all that...

So seen a few things on here kinda picking up on the whole induction thing everyone's got different thought if you want power or sound etc,

It wont be long until i have it in a progress threads but I'm just saying hi for now.

my first thoughts are thinking racing blue and anthracite wheels going with orange hints like orange calipers and going to make a custom tow eye to hold an orange TOW strap. then kind go from there... I also realised i was being brave with the whole orange and blue then i remembered its the GULF colours so hoping this may work...

Heres a pic from when i just bought it, not great but more to come in a progress thread.

306379_2248920776189_1043305388_2559489_1381672495_n.jpg

NOW FOR MY IMPORTANT QUESTION!!!!
when i put my foot down the break sharp WATER sprays from either side of the bonnet by the head lights up the sides of the windscreen???? could this be from the water catch in below the windscreen as braking would cause it to through any caught water forward into the bay and it would spray out the side and up the windscreen? is the any common faults with this sort of thing?

Thanks
Matt

Nice motor mate, that's the non cup model right? Love that colour, so nice! :thumbup:

Nice motor mate, that's the non cup model right? Love that colour, so nice! :thumbup:

Cheers, yeah its a non cup model,

Im just going to save this side of xmas and get collecting my bit ready for next year.
does anyone know what size 18"s alloys go on the clio cup championship cars? im sure some run 18"s some run 17"s, im thinking of getting some 18" compomotives :001_rolleyes:

Cheers, yeah its a non cup model,

Im just going to save this side of xmas and get collecting my bit ready for next year.
does anyone know what size 18"s alloys go on the clio cup championship cars? im sure some run 18"s some run 17"s, im thinking of getting some 18" compomotives :001_rolleyes:

just remember when you do dibs on your old wheels mate...

Guys whats everyones thoughts on the tow strap?
Do you like it?
Bin it?
or change it abit so it goes in the car more, so it doesnt stick out so far?

just uploaded the thread on cliosport net and got absolutly slated??

Personally I dunno. Simo has one on his car and for some reason it works better than it does on yours. Like you say shortening it might help you out but I think what really needs to happen to make it work is going to cost you a lot more :wink:

Coilovers.

hahaha cheers dan, coilovers one day :smile: im goin H&R springs for now although im just saving up as i dont see much point in doing to much this side of xmas/winter, il save and buy ready for next season!

cheers though il have a look at some, i think i may of gone to soon on the tow strap as its the only thing giving that track style....

Matt

hahaha cheers dan, coilovers one day :smile: im goin H&R springs for now although im just saving up as i dont see much point in doing to much this side of xmas/winter, il save and buy ready for next season!

cheers though il have a look at some, i think i may of gone to soon on the tow strap as its the only thing giving that track style....

Matt

No worries dude. I think your right about the styling point you made.

Saw you checked out simos thread with the tow strap.....that's what you should do!

Updated.........

So its been a while and thought I’d give an update of progress.
Well there hasn’t been any to be honest.

Sorted the TOW strap out so its sits further back into the bonnet, got a cheeky snap while on a scenic drive down south.

IMG_0829.jpg

However my manifold started blowing and with a cost of around 600 for the part then labour I decided a second had one would do the job and tackle it myself, wasn’t too bad a job tbh got it done in the day.

IMG_0762.jpg

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0859.jpg

With that job done I was putting the front wheel back on a remembered I had a slow puncture a few days before and filled it with air a while fitting the wheel I thought id check it, expecting to see something in the tyre I found this………cant for the life of me remember hitting any potholes let alone hard! Got a new one asap!

IMG_0760.jpg

Last but most important update, the arrival of my beautiful daughter, 11 weeks ago (sorry to take the tone all mushy)

IMG_1097.png

So at the moment my life revolves around her and my money (as it should) but I’m starting to make some savings now so hopefully planning to get the Clio up and going soon. YES THE CLIO IS STAYING!! As the misses has a 1.9TDI 5door golf.
But at the moment its in a sorry state and no doubt will be for FCS.

although at a distance still looking good in the last family get together of the other halves family though

IMG_1116.jpg

I’m planning to save a fair bit so I can do a lot at once, my aims are!
First off is getting it into for its 5year service of belts, etc
Go yellow and Racing Blue like the old F1 livery, so yellow calliper, yellow TOW
White wheels powder coated but hopefully a decent set of Speedline’s or OZ’s of sort.
Coilovers is the main thing im saving for atm.

Then engine work…………
To Be Continued, Please don’t expect too much too soon.

Matt

Last edited: