197: R27 F1 info

Hi guys, I'm currently looking at an R27 197 and just wondered if all of the R27's had the revised gearbox?

The only reason I ask, is that non-R27 cars have the uprated gearbox as of late 2007/early 2008 and the R27 is an 07 plate.

After doing some research on here, I understand that they are, but I'd just like to confirm this.

Many thanks

Josh

It's hard to tell. If you can read the number off the gearbox you can get someone on the official renaultsport forum to check for you.

I think I'm right in saying that the revised gearbox was introduced at the same point for standard/R27/cup, so earlier R27's don't have the upgrade.

edit:
I guess I could test this out as my R27 is an 07. What are the stats for revs at a certain MPH between the old and new gearbox?

I'm pretty sure they don't all have it. With yours being an 07 I'd say it's probably more likely it doesn't. I seem to recall that the official change over date was Oct 2007 although I may very well be wrong.

I'm pretty sure they don't all have it. With yours being an 07 I'd say it's probably more likely it doesn't. I seem to recall that the official change over date was Oct 2007 although I may very well be wrong.

I'm pretty sure that's right, rings a bell as well

197 - tl4 old box = 18mph/1000rpm in top gear (approx)

197 - tl4 new box = 20mph/1000rpm in top gear (approx)

I drive the dual carriageway every day to work and back, I'd rather have the later gearbox.

If a car comes up that looks perfect in all other areas then I'll be able to overlook the gearbox but ideally I'd like the later one..

Yeah I know it's not a huge amount of difference, but my current car sits at under 3k so even 3.5k seems a lot to me..

From Carl_T at RUK:

Hi,
The change to the revised gearbox was made in October 2007 (ie. vehicles built in that month onwards). But, it is not possible from the registration date to know if your car was built before October 2007.
Some cars have also had gearboxes changed and therefore this could alter what we would have on our records. The best way to ascertain which gearbox the car has is to drive it
In 6th gear, 1000rpm = 18.9 mph on the early gearboxes and 20.5mph on the later gearboxes.
Hope this helps.
Kind regards
Carl

Last edited: