Pre-cat section removal

Hi everyone,

Just bought a 2006 197 and sent it in for it's major service (72k) as soon as I got it as it was due. Garage came back to me with a list of things that needed attention such as the front springs, inner tracking arms and the hubs etc. My question though is that the precat section of the exhaust needs to be replaced as it is 'breaking up' ,as the garage put it, and the car currently produces a metallic hiss/rattle when revving because of this.

Should I get a delete pipe as I've seen on the web, but what would this do for MOT etc (ie. would it pass or fail when fitted?)

Also, if I am replacing the precat section should I just get a cat back installed at the same time as would like to replace the stock exhaust system?

Any help much appreciated, Cheers.

Hello mate and good choice :wink: I've deleted precat when I got my catback fitted and it just scrapes emissions. I imagine passes and fails varies between cars and the tester on this mate.

Hi everyone,

Just bought a 2006 197 and sent it in for it's major service (72k) as soon as I got it as it was due. Garage came back to me with a list of things that needed attention such as the front springs, inner tracking arms and the hubs etc. My question though is that the precat section of the exhaust needs to be replaced as it is 'breaking up' ,as the garage put it, and the car currently produces a metallic hiss/rattle when revving because of this.

Should I get a delete pipe as I've seen on the web, but what would this do for MOT etc (ie. would it pass or fail when fitted?)

Also, if I am replacing the precat section should I just get a cat back installed at the same time as would like to replace the stock exhaust system?

Any help much appreciated, Cheers.

As long as you still have one cat still in, it should be OK.

Sounds like you bought a little bit of a lemon though, that's one huge bill to be slapped with from a car you've just bought.. crikey...

On another note, have all the belts been done?

I'm fairly positive about these things, once you shell out the cash and get it all done, should be very good :smiley:

As soon as you got the car and its due all that? Did you buy it from a garage, and if so why did they not do this service?

The pre-cat is part of the manifold, so a delete pipe cannot be added, you will need to be looking at a new manifold... It more like sounds to me that the flexi's in the manifold have gone (I've never heard of a pre-cat issue with these cars).

As Kaz pointed out, thats a huge bill your going to be lumped with, springs are not that cheap, nor are the hubs, and nor is a manifold! (labour being quite intense in the manifold section also...)

Hi everyone, thanks for the replies. I knew the car needed work when I bought it but was unaware of the springs, hubs etc but I know someone who can help get them fitted so that should help with cost.

Ok though so should be good on the emissions front then thankfully!! All the belts have been done though which is another good note but just need the precat section sorted.

So if the pre cat is part of the manifold, Foz197 how did you get the delete pipe installed??

The car is a bit of a project for me so I know I'll have to fork out a bit but as Kaz said once done should be all sweet!!!