PPG gear set

Would you be interested in PPG custom parts?

• Yes

Votes: 8 100.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hi! Nice to be part of such a great forum.

I have had my Clio R27 for about 17k km and have fed up by the number of times it has crunched into 2nd and how slow it is when going into 4th. After I read about all the horror stories about how these gearboxes are, I decided to contact PPG to see if they would be interested to design custom gear set. Just want to see if anybody is interested too so I can get a quote. :clap: Hopefully a group buy will decrease its price.

"gear sets" arent the issue its the synchro hubs/baulk rings that are the weak point.....

I'll make sure to tell them that this is the primary issue, but I'd assume the gears themselves won't last long with sustained high torque. Thanks for the info foxspeed! :smile:

fmp: I'll make sure to ask for the torque rating of the gearbox. Glad you are interested!

I have the megane turbo lump in my car, but use the 200 gearbox. I prefer it's shorter ratios compared to the megane box, but know they are weaker.

So if there is a solution to strengthen it up, I am very interested!

Update: Unfortunately, PPG have not replied to my email prior to making this thread, but they did tell me this before when I first emailed them before I made this thread:

Unfortunately we do not offer a gearset for this vehicle.

"We would be reluctant to take this on and manufacture one gearset, as we would need to charge 10-14K depending on the style of gearbox you chose.

It is not cost affective to design and manufacture one gearset, as most people are not prepared to pay the amount that need to be charged out..

Would this be figure you would be prepared to pay.."

I do not know of any other company that does custom gearbox parts. Does anybody know a reputable company to get in contact with?

I didn't think it would be cheap, and as any Clio race cars use the sadev unit, there is no real demand for it.

Why do you want more strength? Are you running big power?

I have the megane turbo lump in my car, but use the 200 gearbox. I prefer it's shorter ratios compared to the megane box, but know they are weaker.

So if there is a solution to strengthen it up, I am very interested!

it isnt just the gears that need to be stronger the bearings also need to be beefed up to handle more "torque"

it will be almost impossible to get a "cost effective" uprated internals for the gearbox...

what might be beneficial is the have the boxes "hand-built" and run closer tolerance where possible and perhaps better material baulk rings for the synchro hubs....just my thoughts!

I didn't think it would be cheap, and as any Clio race cars use the sadev unit, there is no real demand for it.

Why do you want more strength? Are you running big power?

No, I'm currently running stock power. I'm just fed up with how many times I've crunched it while going to second and how slow it is when going into 4th. It really kills the fun. And who know, maybe in the future I'll look forward to some more power :tongue_smilie:

Foxspeed: Thats a great idea! Now we have to find a person that is interested in this Lol.

Update: Because PPG doesn't seem to be interested, I contacted PAR engineering. They seem to be enthusiastic about the project and gave me the following two options:

1. A sample transmission is sent to them to work on.

2. They buy a used transmission.

They also mentioned they would also install the custom parts into the gearbox and send it back whole.

When I asked for rough estimates they said 500-800 AUD for a used transmission and around 4500 AUD for a custom gearset if 1-3 sets are bought and 3500 AUD if more than 3 sets are bought.

I also asked if they would uprate the syncros and what is the torque rating of the gears and they said that the package would come with a 12 month warranty and that an accurate rating and all the OEM weakness will be looked at once they are given the green light.

So are people still interested given the rough quotes? Please note this is a rough estimate and it could be either less or more.

Update: PPG have just replied and they said they do not manufacture syncros, so the best option would be a dog engagement box. 10 sets would cost around 9k-10k AUD. I still think PAR engineering is a better option though.

Yup.

If I was 24h endurance racing I would be interested, but at those prices it's just not viable.

Shame tho, as would be great to have!

I bet thats simular money to a sadev sequential box aint it?

When I asked Swr motorsp​ort for a Sadev gearbox, I was quoted around 10k Euros without the bell housing, which is also needed. I have the PDF which gives the breakdown of the costs but I can't seem to be able to attach it here.

Anyway, I do agree that this is a lot of money. Fact of the matter is that If the gearbox happens to fail after warranty is over, I think the price for a built gearbox is going to be less than getting a new one. Well for me at least; the dealer will charge me crazy money. There are only approximately four R27s where I live.