Possible new owner....just need to decide!

So, I'm looking at either a 197 or a 200. I know that gearboxes are a weak point on both cars, but what's the story with exhausts manifolds, is this something that just the 200 suffers with or is it both?

Cheers

Matty

In all fairness the gearbox is ok. Very few have gone wrong and it's the same with the manifold flexis.

The 200 box is better. I ran a meg engine in my old 200. The gearbox was on 80,000, nearly 20,000 with the Meg engine at almost 300lb torque and the gearbox was still as fresh as day one.

Last edited:
Nice one cheers Fernandez, also if anyone can answer how is a 200 Cup like to live with day to day? I had a 172 Cup some moons ago which I thought was OK

Its good im happy with it day to day no problems at all. Even with coilovers or springs there good enough in my opinion

I've had mine for a few months and day to day I love it enjoy every journey how ever long or short brilliant little car sticks to the road well just likes the fuel abit but what do out expect if you want fuel enconomy your after the wrong car

I have a 197 and my gearbox is fine.

I have had a manifold go though, and its not a cheap fix to be fair.

Any car has its problems.

I also have a 197 (cup), which I use as a daily driver and it is fine for that. It's stiffly sprung but not uncomfortable with it. As said, all cars can have their problems, but the gearbox or manifold isn't really something to put you off a Clio, as they are fantastic cars.