Photo Of The Month Chat

It's no easy feat taking pictures like this.

And yes, I used Photoshop - but implying that is the reason behind a good photograph is far from fair.

To be fair mate, you could do with learning to use it yourself - your white balance is off. Unless you have a blue number plate?

Like Lee said, I'm no pro - I only bought my first SLR in April 2012 and I've spent a lot of cold and rainy days practising my technique. I am a programmer for a living, so it's hardly like I have any more of an advantage over anyone else. It's just hard work and commitment.

This is a Photography competition and good photographs aren't just taken - they're made!!

This made me laugh, as Steve just said to me its a car forum photography competition where the winner gets a 'well done' lol.

And secondly, the funny this is I'm actually color blind so really doesn't bother me if people are going to pick up on little things like that. :rofl:

We go out for a drive, have a laugh and stuff and get a few pictures, don't go out to get perfect/amazing pictures so don't criticize stuff I do when its a bit of fun, specially when I've never spoken to you before or anything lol.

No one said your photo wasn't good or anything or even criticized it so why are you on the defensive against people?

Have fun moaning brosef <3

Last edited:
Thanks for all the kind words people! I'm very flattered by many of the posts.

But I've got to be honest and say that I resent comments like this...

Photoshop or my camera didn't make my picture a good picture. I did.

After a 40 minute drive to location, I spent three hours in a cold car park, messing with settings on my camera to ensure my image was the sharpest it could be whilst ensuring I had complete separation from the background. After spending 20 minutes trying different compositions, I also spent an age configuring the rig, whilst trying not to dent my car or break my camera.

.... And that was before I even got the pictures off the SD.

This is what the rig looks looks like when on the car:

1619365_704987676188545_584325782_n.jpg

It's no easy feat taking pictures like this.

And yes, I used Photoshop - but implying that is the reason behind a good photograph is far from fair.

To be fair mate, you could do with learning to use it yourself - your white balance is off. Unless you have a blue number plate?

Like Lee said, I'm no pro - I only bought my first SLR in April 2012 and I've spent a lot of cold and rainy days practising my technique. I am a programmer for a living, so it's hardly like I have any more of an advantage over anyone else. It's just hard work and commitment.

This is a Photography competition and good photographs aren't just taken - they're made!!

That some impressive kit there matey :smiley:

Let's keep it friendly lads. I don't think the comments were aimed at anyone, and were more of a back handed compliment than a complaint about the competition/entrants themselves.

:smile:

Let's keep it friendly lads. I don't think the comments were aimed at anyone, and were more of a back handed compliment than a complaint about the competition/entrants themselves.

:smile:
@Tom @robo_#1 The comment of mine that was quoted was certainly not aimed at anyone, the picture uploaded of my car has been photoshopped so im in now position to try and slate the use of photoshop :smiley: I know the time/effort it takes in order to get results as good as that so thumbs up to you for that. Credit where credit is due, you certainly have a talent because you produce some fine photos (seen them in other threads, not just here)

@Tom @robo_#1 The comment of mine that was quoted was certainly not aimed at anyone, the picture uploaded of my car has been photoshopped so im in now position to try and slate the use of photoshop :smiley: I know the time/effort it takes in order to get results as good as that so thumbs up to you for that. Credit where credit is due, you certainly have a talent because you produce some fine photos (seen them in other threads, not just here)

There we go nice and friendly:thumbsup:

What a picture! Do you have the car moving when you take that? I've heard to get the same effect if you're just crawling on the clutch at less than walking speed

Thanks for the kind words peeps.

@Stevoox - just ignore me mate, it was late, I was being sensitive and grumpy.

What a picture! Do you have the car moving when you take that? I've heard to get the same effect if you're just crawling on the clutch at less than walking speed
Thank you! Yeah you're right -- the car was moving between 2 and 6mph, depending on my camera settings.

You'd be surprised mate. Those suction cups are the nuts. That pole is about 20kg and my camera is another 3kg...

You'd seriously damage the car before the suction went. I picked up a 25kg coffee table with just ONE.... They're mental.

Just out of interest Tom, what shutter speed was it at? Couple of seconds or something?

Just out of interest Tom, what shutter speed was it at? Couple of seconds or something?

The quick answer to your question is 1 second at f4.0.

The helpful answer is:

It completely depends on a few factors, which include the F-Stop you're shooting at, the environments lighting and the speed of the car.

The speed of the car is often dictated by the quality of the surface you use.

So if the floor isn't the smoothest, you'll want a lower shutter speed. This means that you want to drive the car a bit faster, maybe.

If the floor is perfect, then you can use a slower shutter speed and achieve more separation and a higher sense of motion.

For my original Renault Clio shot (the one I entered this month), the drive was much smoother and we shot at F5.6 with a 2 second exposure.

Hope that helps!

Guess who voted the filthy car to win...

Erm, you'd I'd guess lol! That's not my pic though (if that's what you meant)? I only had one vote when I put that post though. I'm pleased with my pic though, even if I don't win I'll keep trying :-D

Erm, you'd I'd guess lol! That's not my pic though (if that's what you meant)? I only had one vote when I put that post though. I'm pleased with my pic though, even if I don't win I'll keep trying :-D

Arghh man, what are the chances, lol. I like all of them, for me the filthy one had to be vote as it's what represents this time of year

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
jasonlovesfrench Clio General Chat 3
Robo_#1 Gallery 0
Robo_#1 Gallery 0
mingernick Gallery 5
Roy POTM Archives 10