Performance gearbox upgrade

Hello from Melbourne, everyone!

I am wondering if anyone on here can give me advice regarding a performance six speed manual gearbox for my 2012 Clio RS 200 Sport.

I bought my car new, and it has done 9500 miles. However, the gearbox was crunching from 3rd to 4th after less than 620 miles, and had to be replaced at the first scheduled service. Currently, I am experiencing intermittent lock-out from 1st and 2nd gears when driving. Quite frankly, the new 'box has never felt that great; it's always been a bit sticky when selecting 1st.

Now, I don't know about anyone else, but the above is just not good enough. I have owned three Type R Hondas, in the past, and not one ever had a gearbox issue, despite rapid changes at up to 9000rpm.

Does anyone on this forum know of a performance gearbox mod for the manual Clio 200? I just want a gearbox that is built like a brick s**t house, and can take fast shifting (with clutch) without falling to bits!

Cheers, guys.

Ralph.

Last edited:
225 gearbox will fit with Megane Gearbox mount and cables but the ratios are longer so the car will be slower.

The only other gearbox is the Sadev sequential box which is around £8,000 second hand and it'll need regular servicing.

Generally the Clio box is very good, some do suffer problems and is easy to think all them will suffer the same fate when you never see posts about the good boxes that don't fail. Having driven most hot hatches I have to say it's one of the beast gearboxes out there for performance and feel.

You other option is to get a late 200 box and then send it to frozen solid for some cryogenic treatment.

I'm not convinced it's not actually the clutches that are ****? I had my gearbox oil changed and slave cly bled etc, never fixed the problem of getting a gear when cold. Which I've read time and again people writing it off as the boxes being fadged.

Anyway got a new clutch now (same gearbox), perfect. Silky smooth from cold. My car was getting stubbon from about 18k miles only and the clutch change just now at 30k, so none of it really should be worn out and tired.

Thanks, guys.

I like the idea of the cryogenic treatment...

I think the best idea would be to ditch the engine and gearbox, and replace them with a 245bhp Honda Type R FD2 engine and gearbox.

Seriously, though, there's something more wrong with gearbox than being stiff when it's cold. Today, it was 17c here in Melbourne. I'd been driving for an hour when the damn thing refused to accept 1st and 2nd gears. WTF???

So, I gather there's no H pattern 6 speed that can replace the same ratios of the official 'box. Damn.

Ralph.

before fitting the new box someone needs to make sure the clutch centre disc slides on the input shaft splines correctly - usually some graphite grease helps...

and of course ditch the crap Renault gearbox oil...

Thanks, guys.

I like the idea of the cryogenic treatment...

I think the best idea would be to ditch the engine and gearbox, and replace them with a 245bhp Honda Type R FD2 engine and gearbox.

Seriously, though, there's something more wrong with gearbox than being stiff when it's cold. Today, it was 17c here in Melbourne. I'd been driving for an hour when the damn thing refused to accept 1st and 2nd gears. WTF???

So, I gather there's no H pattern 6 speed that can replace the same ratios of the official 'box. Damn.

Ralph.

300bhp Megane engine does the job very well.

I'm sure it does, Fernandez, but I'm a devote of high revs, and natural aspiration.

Ralph.

I was too which is why I bought the Clio. Whilst waiting for the car to be finished my biggest concern was losing that rev hungry appeal. However upon first driving it the monster low down torque made me forget that I'd llost a measly 7 00 rpm from the top. :smile:

I was too which is why I bought the Clio. Whilst waiting for the car to be finished my biggest concern was losing that rev hungry appeal. However upon first driving it the monster low down torque made me forget that I'd llost a measly 7 00 rpm from the top. :smile:

I drove a Subaru STI, recently (a 2012 model). It's red line was the same as my Clio, but the sound and throttle response was no where near it. I haven't driven a Megane, however.

Ralph.