Paint peeling off

Spotted this yesterday, around the drivers side rear window the paint is peeling away from the bodywork, the car is only 9 months old!

I've never used a jetwash on it so not caused by that :worried: I think it's due to the warm weather we've been having.

I would normally just phone Renault and go from there, but I keep hearing horror stories where people have taken their cars back for paint and they've had them returned in a worse state!

Not sure what to do TBH!

Take it to Renault. Theres no way I'd be paying out for new paint on a 9month old car. Its possible the window is fitted wrong and catching the paint? I've seen that a few times on rear windows but never the rear quarter windows.

Also (it shouldn't) but the quality of bodywork repairs will vary from one dealership to another so hearing horror stories doesn't mean you'll have one. This is because a lot of main dealers don't have their own bodyshop so it'll be farmed out to an approved 3rd party locally anyway.

I'll have a closer look and get some photos later.

I imagine it would need a rear quarter re-spray and I don't really want that, would prefer to just leave it as is rather than risking a re-spray.

Kick up a fuss, my bosses R8 had a paint fault they gave him a courtesy TT-RS while it went to Germany after 6 months they gave him a new car and a massive refund for his inconvenience

I'll have a closer look and get some photos later.

I imagine it would need a rear quarter re-spray and I don't really want that, would prefer to just leave it as is rather than risking a re-spray.

It will only get worse. Take it back and get them to sort it out before it does

Shame to hear that! It's on the actually shell too :worried:

You seen my paint issue on the front blade on the bumper. How much had come off mine.

Lucky I can remove a blade fin thing though. Take it back Matt.

You don't want to leave it get worse and then them question why you didn't bring it in sooner

Update:

Going in to Renault on friday for them to take photos and send them off to see if it's covered by warranty.

Surely the paint on a 9 month old car is covered by warranty?

Of course.

My spoiler, a factory fit option, is currently being resprayed. Ive also got the odd mark on the paint work, from delivery, but i was so worried about the paint match horror stories on the Liquid Yellow paint id darent highlight it.

Im sure you'll be fine with the red though.

it is 3yrs...

You'd think that, but the guy on the phone didn't seem confident it would be covered by warranty.

One of the reasons I was put off getting a VX220/Exige is the paint bubbling off. Will have to check the clios bodywork isn't fibreglass....

I fancied a vx220 turbo. Fibreglass bubbling and spider webbing put me off. So I bought a new car with warranty instead, seems warranty isn't even worth the paper it's written on.

You'd think that, but the guy on the phone didn't seem confident it would be covered by warranty.

One of the reasons I was put off getting a VX220/Exige is the paint bubbling off. Will have to check the clios bodywork isn't fibreglass....

manufacturing defect ie the paint is coming off/not sticking/incorrectly applied under terms of warranty its warranty - as you say on 8 month car paint shouldnt be an issue.....:zap:

Update:

Going in to Renault on friday for them to take photos and send them off to see if it's covered by warranty.

Surely the paint on a 9 month old car is covered by warranty?

Depends but either way ANY paint warranty has pictures taken and then sent to warranties for approval.

Is this the same issue that quite a few had?

But already been suggested, Renault dealer should be nice and friendly (:wink: ) on this one lol!!!

Don't see it being an issue my self, I take it its the usual where the sun heats up the glue and the window drops causing the problem.

A garage can't do that much work without aproval.

As Si says, photos will be taken, they will be sent to Renault UK, then Renault UK either approve or not. The bodyshop doesnt make the decision.

I even had the manager come to my house on a saturday afternoon to investigate further!

I don't think it's anything to do with the window moving, looks to have just bubbled up by itself, possibly due to the sun.

Still, it's an incredibly fun car so i'm not too worried anymore :smile: