OPINIONS NEEDED ON GEARBOX clio 200

Last 2-3 weeks when I jump into the car when it's been left over night or not been drove for 6 hours or so I cannot get it into gear unless I select 1st or reverse when the car is off then depress the clutch and start the car then it's fine once it's been taken for a 15 minute drive ? also I noticed you can start it up in neutral but it will only go into gear if you free wheel down a hill then select a gear when the car is in motion ? is this a common problem or does it need to be looked at ? is it the synchromesh or just the oil cold ? it's been warm lately so don't want to know what it's gonna be like on a winters morning...it got serviced at 38,000 now on 39,500 all the oils where changed etc....only bought the car roughly 6 weeks ago so it has a warrentie through a third party that says it covers the gearbox etc ? It's a 60plate if that makes any difference ? @Gez know this issue ? P.s gears seem very smooth no crunching etc when the engine is nice and warm

I've heard of some having issues selecting gears when the oil is cold. Just take your time changing gears for a mile or two whilst it all warms up, they should loosen up then.

But I'm not sure what you mean by free wheeling down a hill? Not sure on that bit.

Like coasting down a hill then select a gear ? whilst I do that there's no resistance in the box and it goes in smoothly ? [MENTION=4323]Gez[/MENTION]

As long as it goes in smoothly, that's fine. It's stiff crunching you need to be bothered by lol.

Just take an easy while the oil's warm up. From what others say, a notchy/stiff gearbox is normal on cold

I occasionally can't get it in 1st gear (i leave it in reverse hand brake off in a level garage), i put it in say 3rd and then it will go in 1st.

Maybe mine might be worse cause I park it facing downwards on a slope ? Mines gone past the stuff stage won't actually go in at all when it's cold haha ! have to start it in gear then it's not a problem, probably don't help that I live 2 minutes away from work!! I'm too lazy to walk though :wink:

Do you leave it in gear when parked?, I've found leaving mine in neutral makes it easier to get it in gear first thing.

This is the same fault my car had, got the gearbox changed but only because it had autocare. Was like this for 6 month from when I got the car and to be honest could have lived with it. Never once had a crunch in that time. :smile:

It's the clutch, the clearance on them is rubbish. Before you have a major panic, change the brake fluid and bleed the clutch assembly properly. You maybe surprised I was. From Renault wanting £1600 to replace my clutch and it being in 3 different Renault dealers for gearbox diagnosis from new box to linkage adjustment. It all boils down to replacing the clutch fluid and a proper bleed, which is a pig to do. Everyone changes there brake fluid as it gets moisture in it and the pedal goes soft. The same happens with the clutch, as the clearance on the clutch is minimal anyway, a little moisture in the fluid, means the clutch does not totally clear making stationary gear changes awkward. I bet if you switch the engine off the gears will select without any trouble, but with the engine running, 1st and reverse are a pig. Happy bleeding. (This is my own conclusion, but if worked for me)

I have the exact same on my 10 plate clio 200, gears are smooth as silk but wont go in when cold so have to select it before i start the car, i gave it a good run like 100 miles and ever since its been fine.

[MENTION=3821]Womble[/MENTION] what you just described is spot on ! I'm not very technically minded soo will take it to a garage for them to bleed the brakes and the clutch assembly, don't know if that would be covered under warrentie ? probably not still got 4-5 months left of warrentie on the car

[MENTION=3821]Womble[/MENTION] is there any specific oils I need to know about ?

I would not bother with other gearbox oils I found new Renault stuff was better than the Fuchs in mine. You don't just want the brakes and clutch bled you want a complete fluid flush and change and you have to insist on the clutch being done. They are a tw*t to bleed properly, so choose a garage that knows how to do them. Sometimes they need reverse bled with a syringe.

bleed clutch & change gearbox oil - if needs be drop it a spec (thinner) oil and make sure its fully synthetic and theres 2ltrs put in it - better slightly overfilled than under

Still isn't sorted booked the car into a garage to get the clutch and brakes bleed, and they give my car back without the work done to it because they think it's either the pressure plate in the clutch or the gearbox.... Then I can't claim on the warrentir because they want an exact figure on how much the jobs going to be, and the garage said they can't give a price without stripping the car down to find the issue which would mean taking the subframe off and dropping the engine out....anyone got any ideas I'm getting really p**d off considering I've only had the car 5 weeks

I have exactly the same problem diagnosed by Renault dealer, price is £1600. As I also said in my previous posts you need to get the clutch bled properly, as this may cure the problem due to old fluid containing water and the clutch is not clearing properly. If you bought the car from a garage it should be under warranty. Where in the country are you as you may need an independent to change the fluid and bleed your clutch.