Opinions: Leon FR 170 TDI

Looking for some input, if i was to buy a more economical car I think so far its coming to one of these. Gives me best of both worlds, performance and better running costs. Although i know its not gonna handle like the clio, the ingear accelreation will be fun. Remaps to 410NM

Only reason this came up was im considering moving house and thinking at 40 miles a day its gonna be painful on fuel with the clio.

There was one at the rolling road day, DSG, BTCC kit and in orange.

Very nice !

Made 200bhp too.

We used to have the 2.0tdi ( 140 ) Golf and i loved it. It got totally abused ( company car ) and never once grumbled. It hardly burned oil and was great in the snow too.

arent the 170 the ones that have a few turbo troubles...

(or was that the early ones???)

There was one at the rolling road day, DSG, BTCC kit and in orange.

Very nice !

Made 200bhp too.

We used to have the 2.0tdi ( 140 ) Golf and i loved it. It got totally abused ( company car ) and never once grumbled. It hardly burned oil and was great in the snow too.

That orange one did indeed look the biz!

They're nice, I was looking at the FR, but we don't need the diesel engine so a Cupra is more suited to my needs, as the petrol FR is difficult to come by and you may as well go for the extra 40bhp!! Been looking for a while at them now and love the K1 side skirts and rear spoiler, but I really am not fond of the front and rear bumpers.

Adam. on here if you can find his profile has one afaik, in fact that might have been the one people have seen.

friend at work has a red one. The paint is really soft and the front end is very easily damaged by stones etc. The bumper and leading edge of the bonnet are particularly bad. Build quality is questionable on the inside, and the DSG gearbox is too eager to change up, even in flappy paddle mode.

friend at work has a red one. The paint is really soft and the front end is very easily damaged by stones etc. The bumper and leading edge of the bonnet are particularly bad. Build quality is questionable on the inside, and the DSG gearbox is too eager to change up, even in flappy paddle mode.

Spot on Adrian - I'd certainly echo these comments.

Went for a browse and a t-drive in a BTCC kitted diesel on the weekend - thought because it was white it was more obviously marked/chipped but the other Leons they had there also seemed excessively chipped. Don't think the 'wedge' shape helps this. Not impressed with the interior, found my cup more accommodating. DSG is a great piece of kit but you never feel like you're getting 110% even when pushing on.

Maybe it's because I'm used to the snickety snick tight Clio box and revving to near 8k but I felt massively underwhelmed. I found a 118d m far more involving, very similar performance figures although pricey.

i wouldnt go for an auto, and its just a thought at this momment. If im honest it isnt blowing me away with what im reading online about the car. Seems to be alot of reported problems, and if i was to lose the clio it would be through gritted teeth, dont think there is much about that will give me the same joy i get driving the clio.

Thought I'd give this a bump, see if there was any new feedback on the FR170, back thinking of changing again and come back to this and the Golf GTD although I think they are a bit pricy. Spending too much on cars each month, something has to change.

I like the look of the Leon, but I wasn't keen when I drove it. It just felt a little bit numb and the brakes were far too sensitive. The dash lets the inside down too. And the dealers are crap at everything.

But they do look sporty and the the door handles being concealed means it looks more like a 3 door too. The engine is meant to be good and easy to tune too.

Think the Leon is out of the picture now, REALLY like this GTD thing. Looks almost grown up too!

media?id=1895384132.gif
Borrowed this from google to share the wisdom.

Only downside is that they are rather pricey. The ones Im looking at seem to be around 18-19k for a 59 plate.

Kinda getting further away from the whole money saving thing the more i look at cars. Currently on 2 cars paying around £750 a month. Could get one of these for £300 + fuel and insurance.

Upsetting to see what the clio is booking at. 59' Clio 200 18,500 miles is booking £9500- £10,000.

lol, anyone interested?!? j/k

Yes, they do look nice, but they are very expensive. Have you thought about an A3?

Only problem is, every man and his dog has a Golf.