Ok.... so I'm going to replace the lines..

So I've had a look and I'm off work from the 28th October until 4th. I plan to replace the brake lines on the Clio. I have goodridge brake lines however I've never done this before, are these a good fit??

I've watched vids on youtube.. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXmGEM5fSgQ)

Looks easy.. I've done plumbing before.. this looks remarkably similar... Can anyone comment?

Bleeding the system looks remarkable simple too.. I think I'm going to buy an Ezebleed system. I've also 1.5 litres of brake fluid so I can replace all the brake fluid.. does anyone know the size of spanners I need? I assume with the ezebleed its very simple to do with one person?

thanks!

(p.s if for some reason I cock up there a mechanic down the road who will sort it for a few £ :smile:)

I can also recommend the ezbleed .. although I read somewhere that if replacing lines you need to plug in and cycle the abs pump to avoid airlocks

The goodridge lines are a good fit, and yeah the job of switching them is pretty straight forward, it's just the oil bit I hate, I have this thing about hydraulic oil lol

Just make sure you bleed it really well

dont let the master cylinder drain or loose to much fluid out of the lines - if you get air in the abs actuator its usually a dealer job to get the actuator put in "bleed mode"...

i usually use some plastic over the top of the reservoir held by a rubber band to stop the fluid from dripping out of the disconnected brake line

Also don't expect any noticeable difference in braking feel.

Really??
Changed the feel of the brakes in both our 197 and 182 when I did them, very noticeable. I did the 182 first and found the 197 so spongy afterwards in comparison I fitted some to it too

I will do a guide yes.

Thanks for all the comments guys it gives me a lot more to go on. I will ensure not to get air in the master cylinder thanks fox! Have you any more recommendations for me?

@Raphly why should I not expect much difference? I've currently boiled my brake fluid (well the pedal is VERY spongy) so i'm hoping that putting the lines, some moutle fluid in and my carbon lorraine pads should make a hell of a difference! I'll be disappointed if not!

If I keep the lid on the resovire and then fit a single pipe could I bleed the air out and move to the next or is it best to replace them all at once then sort out the airlock after all pipes have been replaced?

Last edited:
Speaking from personal experience, I had braided lines on my Puma and noticed no difference whatsoever.

How did you boil your brake fluid? I have done 5 track days with mine and haven't had any issues with the fluid.

IMO you would be better getting grooved two piece discs rather than messing about with the brake lines.

Lots of people seem to rave about modifications that seem to make little or no difference, and can even be detrimental to how the car drives; I am just giving my opinion.

down the side of a mountain near by... was like a downhill rally stage for about 15 minutes solid.. from 70 odd to 10mph for 1 lane corners constantly.. got to the end and had no brakes got out and had the worst ranic smell I've ever smelt from my car... assumed it was the brake fluid as the pedal is now quite spongy and the brakes are not at their best..

They will provide a difference in feel if the current lines are aging. They tend to bulge slightly under pressure causing a slight spongy feeling whereas the braided ones wont.

They will provide a difference in feel if the current lines are aging. They tend to bulge slightly under pressure causing a slight spongy feeling whereas the braided ones wont.

if they "bulge" its an mot fail...they sort of "flex" ever so slightly if you see them when the brakes are pressed

Ralphy would pads glaze even with very hard braking(back end squirming hard!) ? Would they also smell awful? If so im happy because I now know what the problem was/smell was!!!

That smell is just because the pads are really hot, I get it from my standard ones on the rear, nasty smell!!

You didn't boil the fluid though unless the pedal went right to the floor. By the way, don't come to a complete stop with really hot carbone lorraine pads as your discs may not like it. Keep moving until they've cooled down a bit.