Oil filter adapter

Now I've found the correct thread size (M20 x 1.5) for the oil filter, I've encountered another difficulty. Perhaps someone can help me out here:

If I'm informed correctly, the 200 is equipped with some sort of oil cooling that's connected to the oil filter. This would be something similar to this:
3c4d28410180.jpg

Correct?

If so, for installation of an oil pressure gauge, I would need an oil filter adapter like this:
http://rspec.co.uk/gauge-sensor-ada...ealth-black-sandwich-plate-adator-m20-x-1.5mm

Can these two 'extensions' be used together or do I need to go another route? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
is there not a blanking plug in the main oil gallary on the side of the engine block you could use?

what about the oil pressure switch? t-piece adaptor?

Foxspeed, thanks very much for your quick reply.

Well, I'm not sure of the blanking plug... I've talked to a mechanic and he mentioned the oil pressure switch, yet he couldn't tell me what would happen if the oil pressure switch was removed; he didn't mention a T-piece adapter so I assumed it couldn't be done...

There must be someone on the board who installed an oil pressure gauge and hence, can explain how it's connected?

Mines connected to the Mocal sandwich plate for the oil cooler, it has two take offs for pressure and temp. Its quite straight forward.

Mines connected to the Mocal sandwich plate for the oil cooler, it has two take offs for pressure and temp. Its quite straight forward.

Ben, could you elaborate a bit please? I'm not that familiar with these things ;/
Is that the standard OEM sandwich plate you are referring to?

The standard sandwich plate is water cooled so if you taped into that you'd only get water temp/pressure.

The one ben is on about would be a proper oil cooler sandwich plate for a proper oil cooling radiator.

These can be had with a take off for an oil pressure sensor or oil temp sensor or both, could i recomend if you do go down this oil cooler route you get a sandwich plate with a thermostat in it, this will only cool the oil when it's up to temprature and not over cool it.

Mine has a thermostat in it to prevent the oil from never reaching operating temp on normal use.

Its not the OEM sandwich plate. One supplied with the oil cooler kit, has two large channels for delivery and return to the cooler and two small take offs for the sensors.

You can however use a T-piece on the pressure switch so both the original switch and the sensor can be used. You could also use a sump plug with a threaded hole in the middle for a temp sensor but will have to cut the belly pan out to accomodate it.

Hi :smile:

I have my gauges ( defi) oil pressure and oil temp connected into this:

521_1.jpg

this thing is of course connected into oil filter and is working very good

First of all, thanks everybody for your input. Nice to see this is a very friendly board with helpfull and commited people that really support one another. Believe me when I say there are other boards where that's not quite the case...

@Zadir: did you get rid of the standard OEM water cooled sandwich adapter on which the oil filter is screwed? Or do you have the oil filter sandwich adapter you show in the pic on top of the standard OEM water cooled adapter? Is this possible?

you can just use a "t" piece connector - remove the oil pressure switch - fit the t-piece and screw the switch back in and then screw in the pressure sensor or oil line

I believe the oem heat exchanger ( a cooler radiates it's heat through air flow ) is there to aid in oil temp build up rather than oil cooling. I may be incorrect though?

I believe the oem heat exchanger ( a cooler radiates it's heat through air flow ) is there to aid in oil temp build up rather than oil cooling. I may be incorrect though?

its a bit of both isnt it - helps stabilise the temperatures - and as you say an "exchanger"

I don't know how they managed to do that, but I know that i have this thing fitted, and everything is ok with temp. on track is not higher than 105 deegrees

Found this on another board, it's from a Clio 172:

172_adaptors.jpg

So it seems dual plates is possible. However I clearly like Fox'es idea much more. Plain and simple T-piece. The oil pressure sender can simply be screwed unto it.

Fox, where would you put an additional oil temperature sensor in this setup?

Almost there... :smile:

are you putting on a oil pressure sensor and temperature sensor?

so you would have 3 -

the orignal oil pressure switch

and 2 additional ones - pressure guage and temperatur guage?

You're one amazing bloke, you know that? :smiley: :smiley:

Yes that was the plan. Full story: I already have a 52mm AFR gauge hanging on the middle of my dash somewhere :smile: and I've purchased the A-pillars from Zadir with space for three 52mm gauges. First idea was AFR gauge, oil pressure gauge and AIT gauge. A pall of mine who lives further down the road [cars and tuning are his life] told me it might be more useful to install an oil temp gauge instead of AIT (since the Clio is N/A and I've installed a custom cold air intake, so air to engine is always cool).

One thing strikes me as odd:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/gauge-pipes-adaptors/lma-oil-pressure-t-piece
It mentions : 'It is not recommended that the T piece is used for an oil temperature gauge as an inaccurate reading would result.' whereas the 4-way adaptor doesn't...

Last edited:
You're one amazing bloke, you know that? :smiley: :smiley:

Yes that was the plan. Full story: I already have a 52mm AFR gauge hanging on the middle of my dash somewhere :smile: and I've purchased the A-pillars from Zadir with space for three 52mm gauges. First idea was AFR gauge, oil pressure gauge and AIT gauge. A pall of mine who lives further down the road [cars and tuning are his life] told me it might be more useful to install an oil temp gauge instead of AIT (since the Clio is N/A and I've installed a custom cold air intake, so air to engine is always cool).

One thing strikes me as odd:
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/gauge-pipes-adaptors/lma-oil-pressure-t-piece
It mentions : 'It is not recommended that the T piece is used for an oil temperature gauge as an inaccurate reading would result.' whereas the 4-way adaptor doesn't...

it is a bit strange that - but the 4-way is one way of doing what you need - as a double sandwich plate will be very restrictive to fit the oil filter i would think!

OK!

Thanks everyone for their help/opinions, especially 'the Fox-man' :jase2:

I'll give some feedback when everything is fitted; it might take a few weeks or a month though...

Last edited: