Oem Look Headunit

jakehewitt

North East Rep
Im looking to upgrade my head unit before i change the speakers over but i really don't want a nasty flashing unit. Would prefer an oem look one that packs quite a good punch.Iv had a good look and cant find any.
Or would it be worth just amping the one i already have?

I made an attempt when I was looking and it was a struggle to find anything that didn't look like it'd dropped orr a Halfords lorry.

I eventually went with a Kenwood unit that was both a little more subtle than some of the competition AND more importantly you can alter the display and LED colours very precisely to try and match the display/lighting already in the car.

IMG_2830.jpg

Problem is because you have to adapt it to a single DIN size using the surround it still doesn't quite look OEM but it's not terrible... I think, maybe you'll disagree :tongueout:

I think this would be the current equivelent:
http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/cd_receivers/bluetooth/KDC-BT53U/

I'll have to remember to get a photo but it's an Alpine ida x311RR

Red illumination but matches like ashtons

I eventually went with a Kenwood unit that was both a little more subtle than some of the competition AND more importantly you can alter the display and LED colours very precisely to try and match the display/lighting already in the car.

IMG_2830.jpg

This looks quite good, definitely less in your face compared to the other HU's around.

This looks quite good, definitely less in your face compared to the other HU's around.

I'm glad others agree at least :smile:

It looks a bit over bright in that picture too but I think I dimmed it down as well to be a bit more subdued.
Along with the Pioneer straight fit speakers it made the sound at least 'acceptable' to me. You just lose use of the central display on the dash though...