OE Steering wheel lock, can they be disabled?

Chrisgti6

East Midlands Rep.
So, my wife can only use one hand due to her stroke. She has modifications to her car to allow one handed driving, however it has just occured that if the steering lock is on then she struggles to take it off again.

She is very careful not to engage it when she parks up, but last night I moved the car and put it on. It just got to the point where I had to go home from work to get the steering lock off for her as she can't turn the key and move the wheel at the same time.

So, is it possible to disable the steering lock somehow? I'm handy with the spanners etc.

Its a 2012 Seat Ibza if that helps?

Does the steering lock not just go off once the car is started?

On my 197 yes (keyless entry etc) but as with most cars with keys - when the wheel lock is on you need to move the wheel very slightly at the same time as turning the key to remove the lock and allow the key to turn.

Yep it's only a pin/block of metal that engages in a hole usually.....just grind it off....or block the hole! Shout up if you need a hand....as I work close to south normanton/parents live there.

Just not before Friday as I'm in majorca lol

Whatever I do, I want to be able to undo again if/when we sell the car.

Do you reckon I could block the hole with something, or stop the pin from 'popping' back out? Is there more than one hole normally, can't you lock the steering wheel in multiple places?

Different for each car regarding the holes,if it were me I'd price the steering lock up( just the lock not the ignition too). Then you can just cut the end off the one fitted.....in reality come sale time nobody will check the steering lock...especially a dealer

I've had a look tonight, unfortunately the barrel is held in pace with some security bolts without a head on them so I can't get the bugger off without cutting a groove into the top of them.

I think I'll leave it for now, maybe have a look at the weekend.

I've had a look tonight, unfortunately the barrel is held in pace with some security bolts without a head on them so I can't get the bugger off without cutting a groove into the top of them.

I think I'll leave it for now, maybe have a look at the weekend.

if you have a quality centre punch you can drive the bolts round with that