noobie waxing question

Alright so i normally wash dry and wax about once a month, clay about twice a year. Inormally clean my car every sunday though and use a meguiars spray detailer because obviously i can't wax it every week, is this right or wrong or what? what do most people do?

glad you are taking such a good care of your pride but you dont really need to wax it so often as the compound stays on your paintwork for some time..it stays protected for about 2-3 months depending on how often you wash your car...if cleaned every week the wax will wash off faster..

Last edited:
I would say that sounds ok. A decent wax is designed to be long lasting, so no need for a new coat every time you clean it. I use a Meguiar's quick detailer too, which I find does a pretty good job in the interim. And a shampoo that is wax-friendly (I can't think of the proper term) so you don't strip it off with each wash.

Depends on which wax you use, some can last over a year. You certainly don't need to be doing it monthly

I only use quick detailer for bits I miss on the car when washing.

Yah...agree with Chris. Get some wax with strong durability and keep doing what you're doing with a quick detailer.

I use collinite 476, good stuff, lasts ages.

can also recomend dodo waxes, is colour specific, has oils for the tone of your colour.

You can spend mental amounts on wax though it's crazy...

I can vouch for the collinite too, I've been really happy with it so far. Reasonably priced too.

Colllinite does yeah [MENTION=41063]Pav[/MENTION]

£15 for a big pot of it also will last ages. Best wax for the price...

I use collinite 476, good stuff, lasts ages.

can also recomend dodo waxes, is colour specific, has oils for the tone of your colour.

You can spend mental amounts on wax though it's crazy...

never heard of the stuff before but quick google, looks decent! reckon its still good on light metallics though as i have a nimbus?

Is good on all colours.. Its a generic wax, not colour specific. Go on cleanyourcar.co.uk and look at the reviews.

I use autoglym HD wax, by far the best/easiest to to use for the money imo. If you check reviews on it it'll say it's hard to beat. And 2 coats every 5-6 months will do it.

Another good option that is reviewed well ^^ only downside is its almost 3 times the price for a similar performing wax

I must have 40-50 different waxes. Everything from cheap and cheerful Poorboys Nattys paste wax to Swissvax Best of Show. And my personal favourite is Blackfire Midnight Sun. Just a joy to use, and not extortionatly priced either (£30 from here: http://www.motorgeek.co.uk/cgi-bin/ecom.cgi?Command=ShowProduct&db_pid=106). Personally speaking I'd pay that bit extra for the total ease of use from the Blackfire wax.

And yes a have numerous Dodo Juice waxes and the Collinite mentioned above.

Last edited:
HD wax is 3 times the price of a similar performing wax??? It's £35 a tub.

Go go and Google AG HD vs collinite, they are about equally reviewed on DW. And collinite is £15 and auto gym is nearer £40. Hence nearly 3 times the price...

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J New Members 0
Colvin1991 Detailing 10
N Detailing 12
Elaine New Members 30