Noise when changing gear

Jesse James

Platinum Member
Had my center silencer removed and there is no denying it was worth it for the sound. however when i change gear at around 3-4k there is a clunk sound from 1st to 2nd to 3rd and occasionally through to 4th. does anyone have any idea what this could be?

The top engine stabiliser possibly, or the lower engine mount?

Sounds similar to mine, although I find mine occurs at lower RPM. I'm getting the top mounts swapped tomorrow for PowerFlex ones. Will report back if it cures the issue :smiley:

EDIT:

Got my upper engine mounts changed today for the PowerFlex ones. I did the upper engine mount, and the torque mount. The car feels absolutely mint now, like a difference I never expected.

There are zero knocks or bangs, the gear change is absolutely perfect, and the engine seems to rev much better than it did before.

As for vibration - YES, there is noticeably more vibration. Mainly at idle, but I noticed when driving at 30, the middle mirior was slightly distorted from the vibration. Now, I assume they will bed in a little bit, they're fresh out the packet, but, IMO, the added vibration is absolutely 100% worth the better driving experience.

One thing I would say is though, it was an absolute pig of a job. The upper torque arm was very easy, the upper engine mount bush insert was an absolute *******. It took 2 of us (1 mechanic and me) about an hour or so to get both fitted. We had a jack under the engine to take the weight, and took every bit of effort to push the engine back and fourth to wiggle the mount out, getting it back in was even harder. We ended up loosening off the air-con pipes just to give us an extra few mm of wiggle room.

Last edited:
I have discovered that the noise happens when I dip the clutch. Would this be to do with the engine mounts still?

Mine clunks at idle. Think it's the box on it's way out though. If I press the clutch and put it in gear sitting still, it'll thump. If I press the clutch, wait 3-5 seconds and put it in, no noise.

I have discovered that the noise happens when I dip the clutch. Would this be to do with the engine mounts still?

Yes I found this with mine. I couldn't work out if it was when I pressed the clutch, or when I pressed the accelerator. In the end it seemed to be both, it's just anything that causes the engine to move. Swapped the torque and top mount and problem was resolved. - not guaranteeing it's the same issue, but it sounds identical to mine and the mounts fixed it.

Has anyone got a link for were I can get these bushes. If possible to the exact ones I need please

http://www.k-tecracing.com/show_product.asp?id=5000&appid=3

All 3 are available from the link above.

In mine, I changed the "Upper Torque Arm Bush" and the "Upper Engine Mount Insert"

From reading other threads, most of the vibration seems to come from the Upper Engine Mount insert. So I'd recommend changing the Torque arm bush first, and then see how it is, and then make the decision if you want to do the Upper Engine mount as well.

I haven't added Lower Engine mount as the top 2 seemed to cure my issue.