Noise that goes when clutch is pressed.

matt9566

Paid Member
Just come to the car, started it up and wound the windows down as I pressed the clutch the car seemed to idle more quietly.. Pressed the clutch and let go a few times, when the clutch is pressed there is no noise but when released there is a slight noise that sounds like something is catching.
The noise might have always been there but I've never noticed it and the car seems perfectly fine but just thought I'd ask.
Has anyone got any ideas ?
Belts etc have all been replaced in the last year.

How loud is the noise? If it's only slight I wouldn't worry or rush to get it changed, as it's basically a gear box off and clutch change job. Most cars I've driven make some sort of noise and it goes away when the clutch is depressed, even some fairly new ones! A little noise is normal. It's when it starts getting really loud or you start having trouble engaging gear that it needs changing.

They can be noisy but still go on and on for miles.

How loud is the noise? If it's only slight I wouldn't worry or rush to get it changed, as it's basically a gear box off and clutch change job. Most cars I've driven make some sort of noise and it goes away when the clutch is depressed, even some fairly new ones! A little noise is normal. It's when it starts getting really loud or you start having trouble engaging gear that it needs changing.

They can be noisy but still go on and on for miles.

It is only very slight, I think I only noticed it because I was parked close to the garage wall so it was emphasized a bit. Engaging gear seems fine too, I'll just live with it for now until like you say it becomes worse it isn't really bothering me at all just thought i'd better be on the safe side and ask the question.
Might be an excuse to swap for a meg or something newer earlier than I thought :smiley: Thanks for your help!

@CallorFold Price seems reasonable for if/when it does get worse (I have a friendly mechanic too so that helps!)
Thanks for your help!

Indeed the sound you describe is 99% the thrust release bearing. A minor noise is pretty much normal. On my last car I pressured the dealer to replace the noisy part (since new) under warranty and the new part made the exact same noise. For some reason, the Clio's thrust bearing is pretty silent. But with tolerances etc. minor noises are unavoidable.