No abs ??????

Joshluff

Platinum Member
Hello ,

So the other day my abs, traction control and handbrake light decided to come on along with the car telling me there is a braking fault and telling me to stop

I tested the brakes to see if they still work and they do just no abs

This has happened after lowering the car ?
Is there a possibility I've hit the abs sensor or wire or something ?

Thank in advance

i had a "break fault" light on when low on break fluid...might have somet to do with it..

you need it plugged in to check for codes and a system test/check....

might be worth checking fuses and relays in both fuse boxes first in cae something has worked loose with the lowered/harder suspension fitted..

might be worth checking fuses and relays in both fuse boxes first in cae something has worked loose with the lowered/harder suspension fitted..

I'll check the fueses in a min and I'm gunna book it if for next week -.- it's a nightmare

Fuses are all good abs sensors look fine aswell I guess a system test is the only way .

Mine came on other day after heavy braking. The abs light/traction control and the spanner light. Got a guy coming tomorrow to plug scanner. Although the lights tend to come on randomly but go off when i switch car off and back on again.

Mine came on other day after heavy braking. The abs light/traction control and the spanner light. Got a guy coming tomorrow to plug scanner. Although the lights tend to come on randomly but go off when i switch car off and back on again.

That's exactly the same as what mine have been doing although now they never go away

Hello all!
Is therea solution for this problem? I'm having the same issue (ESP+ABS lights are coming on randomly and go away after I restart a car)
It's now with an official renault dealer, however, they can't find an error code and the problem didn't reapear while the car was with them.
Is there a list of things to check? So far I have:
- fluid
- brake switch
- wheel speed sensor
- abs rings

Is there anything else to check? The problem usually appears while I'm on a track and it's getting scary :smile:

you probably have a failing abs sensor which is the key part in the systems. You said you lowered the car so the shock had to be removed yes you could have damaged a sensor doing so or not reconnected or refitted them securely, but the other could be tyres with different tread depths or sizes from left to right on the front and back of the car causing the sensors to read different speeds at the corners also cocking the wheel in the air normally at the back in the bends normally on track, hitting deep puddles/ pot hole with one wheel can bring and ABS fault which resets on restarting the car. Low brake fluid level can bring on handbrake light you need to tell us how you removed the shocks did you lower the sub frame or compress the springs and pull the shock from the hub assembly. I've just looked at the last post you say on track it's the problem a Clio cup racer could explain but they normally use the Renault clip to disable the esp. and abs functions as hitting the track kerbs hard can fool the abs and esp systems cutting power at the same time. If the steering has been disconnected when dropping the sub frame and the wheel is turned when disconnected then it needs the angle sensor zeroed as steering angle is used for traction and esp.

There are so many people that jump in with their problems it's hard to answer the original problem, to tell you the truth if you buy a Renault clip they are great for diagnostics if used correctly I bought one for £125 it goes into more depth than a £20 eBay job as it costs say £35 to £50 for a dealer to plug in every time and with an intermittent fault you need it there and then. On my 172 Clio it was able to tell me which of the 2 lambdas was faulty and that it was the internal heating element which gave random emission lights and limp modes while the £20 gave a basic error code relating to emissions.

When I 1st got the 197 my abs light would intermittently come on and I found one of the driveshaft outer gaitor split and grease on the sensor! After I sorted the issue cleaned escaping grease never came back on, just a thing to check.

Similar Thread Suggestions